is created for the benefit of people wanting to know more about this city and are planning their trip there.
(GPS: 5.980057, 116.073611), (British: Jesselton; Traditional Chinese: 亞庇; Simplified Chinese: 亚庇; Pinyin: Yàbì) is the state capital of Sabah in East Malaysia. Formerly known as Jesselton, it is also the capital of the West Coast Division of Sabah. The city has a population of 579,304, while the larger urban area has an estimated population of 700,000. It is the largest urban centre in Sabah and the sixth largest in Malaysia.
Kota Kinabalu is located on the northwest coast of Borneo facing the South China Sea. The
- 1Borneo Hypermall (GPS: 6.036, 116.12906)
- All Saints' Cathedral (GPS: 5.97289, 116.07227)
- Api-Api Centre (GPS: 5.97548, 116.06906)
- Atkinson Clock Tower (GPS: 5.9819, 116.07745)
- Basel Christian Church of Malaysia, Kota Kinabalu (GPS: 5.97746, 116.09518)
- Basel Christian Church of Malaysia, Penampang (GPS: 5.94535, 116.08502)
- Cap Kuda Coffee Company (GPS: 5.97892, 116.11691)
- Chapel of the Holy Light (GPS: 5.99066, 116.10777)
- Christ Church, Likas (GPS: 5.99079, 116.10376)
- Church of the Good Samaritan (GPS: 5.9397, 116.0737)
- Dalit Bay Golf & Country Club (GPS: 6.15636, 116.15179)
- Double Six Memorial Park (GPS: 5.96221, 116.0618)
- Filipino Market (GPS: 5.98169, 116.07207)
- Gaya Street Sunday Market (GPS: 5.98306, 116.07663)
- Jesselton Poing (GPS: 5.99007, 116.0798)
- Kinabalu Golf Club (GPS: 5.95025, 116.04491)
- Kipandi Butterfly Park (GPS: 5.8713, 116.25028)
- KK Esplanade (GPS: 5.98446, 116.07391)
- KK Times Square (GPS: 5.9705, 116.06607)
- (GPS: 5.98883, 116.08944)
- Kota Kinabalu City Mosque (GPS: 5.99571, 116.10771)
- Lingzhi Museum (GPS: 5.92123, 116.06914)
- Lok Kawi Wildlife Park (GPS: 5.8516, 116.07066)
- Mari Mari Cultural Village (GPS: 5.9739, 116.20375)
- (GPS: 6.11312, 116.10743)
- Orchid De Villa (GPS: 5.95884, 116.14357)
- Our Lady of Peace Catholic Church (GPS: 5.93675, 116.07956)
- Petagas War Memorial (GPS: 5.92111, 116.05439)
- (GPS: 5.99304, 116.11682)
- Pulau Gaya (GPS: 6.01799, 116.02984)
- Sabah Golf & Country Club (GPS: 5.95692, 116.10196)
- Sabah Islamic Civilisation Museum (GPS: 5.96336, 116.07396)
- Sabah Museum (GPS: .96061, 116.07146)
- Sabah State Mosque (GPS: 5.95996, 116.06715)
- Sabah Trade Centre (GPS: 5.99127, 116.0918)
- Sacred Heart Cathedral (GPS: 5.96425, 116.07297)
- Shern En Methodist Church (GPS: 5.9773, 116.08309)
- Signal Hill (GPS: 5.98581, 116.0797)
- St Michael Church, Penampang (GPS: 5.90762, 116.10967)
- Stella Maris Catholic Church (GPS: 5.95584, 116.05192)
- Sutera Harbour (GPS: 5.96498, 116.06178)
- Sutera Harbour Golf & Country Club (GPS: 5.96759, 116.05969)
- Tun Mustapha Tower (GPS: 6.01722, 116.10944)
- UMS Aquarium and Marine Museum (GPS: 6.03992, 116.11277)
- UMS Mosque (GPS: 6.03814, 116.12517)
- Water World Theme Park (GPS: 5.94974, 116.10776)
Categories of sights in Kota Kinabalu
Nearby Tourist Attractions
Places within Kota Kinabalu
Streets in Kota Kinabalu
Railway Lines in Kota Kinabalu
Universities in Kota Kinabalu
Kota Kinabalu skylinehttp://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Panoramic_views_of_Kota_Kinabalu#mediaviewer/File:KKCity5.jpg
Neighbouring Towns to Kota Kinabalu
Islands off the coast of Kota Kinabalu
Cinemas in Kota Kinabalu
- Golden Screen Cinema, www.gsc.com.my, 63 Jalan Laiman Diki
- Mega Pavilion, www.megapavilion.net, Jalan Tunku Abdul Rahman
Jalan Tun Fuad Stephens, Kota Kinabaluhttp://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Jalan_Tun_Fuad_Stephens,_Kota_Kinabalu#mediaviewer/File:Coconut_trees_Kota_Kinabalu.JPG
Swordfish Monument, Kota Kinabaluhttp://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Kota_Kinabalu_City_Centre_0001.jpg
Sembulan, a predominantly Bajau neighbourhood in Kota Kinabaluhttp://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Panoramic_views_of_Kota_Kinabalu#mediaviewer/File:KotaKinabalu_Sabah_Sembulan-03.jpg
1 Borneo Hypermall, Kota Kinabaluhttp://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:1Borneo_Hypermall#mediaviewer/File:Kota_Kinabalu_1Borneo_4600.jpg
Sacred Heart Catholic Cathedral, Kota Kinabaluhttp://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:KotaKinabalu_Sabah_SacredHeartCathedral-05.jpg
© CEphoto, Uwe Aranas
Geography of Kota Kinabalu
Kota Kinabalu is on the west coast of Sabah. It lies on a narrow strip of land sandwiched between the Crocker Range and the South China Sea. Five of the islands off the coast of Kota Kinabalu, and within sight of the city, have been designated the Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park. As Kota Kinabalu is located directly within the flight path of planes approaching the Kota Kinabalu International Airport, there is a strict limit to the height of buildings in the city.
Kota Kinabalu is the gateway into Sabah as well as to the island of Borneo. It has the second largest international airport in the country. Being the industrial and commercial centre of East Malaysia, Kota Kinabalu is one of the fastest growing cities in Malaysia. The city is located about 90 km from Mount Kinabalu, the tallest mountain in Borneo. Kota Kinabalu was formerly known as Jesselton, but besides Jesselton, there are also other names that are claimed to be the original name of Kota Kinabalu. The most popular is Api-Api, or sometimes simply Api, which means "fire" in Malay.
Aerial view of Kota Kinabaluhttp://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:KKCity2.jpg
Kota Kinabalu International Airporthttp://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Kota_Kinabalu_International_Airport#mediaviewer/File:Kota_Kinabalu_International_Airport_Terminal1_02.jpg
Arriving in Kota Kinabalu
Kota Kinabalu International Airport
(BKI) is just about 7 km from the city. From the airport, you can take an airport shuttle, mini van or taxi. To take a taxi, buy the coupon at the taxi stand on the ground floor. The fare is fixed at RM20.00.
The city of Kota Kinabalu is small enough for you to walk. For farther away places, I would suggest that you either rent a car at the airport, or take a taxi. For both options, be sure you bargain for the best price. Taxis do not use meter, and the drivers will quote a high price expecting you to haggle it down.
What to see and do in Kota Kinabalu
- Cultural Tour Visit the Monsopiad Cultural Village and Mari Mari Cultural Village. Contact Traverse Tours, tel: 088 260501, www.traversetours.com
- Diving: The possibilities are endless in Sabah. Contact Borneo Divers, tel 088 222226, www.borneodivers.info, Borneo Sea Adventures, tel: 088 230000, www.borneosea.com, Tanjung Aru Tours, tel: 088 222210, www.tanjungarutourstravel.net
- Motorbiking Join motorbiking tours of the Crocker Range and other places. Contact Borneo Biking Adventures, tel: 013 552 7313, www.borneobikingadventures.com
Whitewater Rafing Available at Sungai Padas and Sungai Kiulu Contact Traverse Tours, tel: 088 260501, www.traversetours.com
- Wildlife You can go to see orang utans, proboscis monkeys, and other wildlife in the sanctuary, or explore the rainforest. Contact Borneo Wildlife Adventure, tel: 088 213668, www.borneo-wildlife.com or Wildlife Expeditions, tel: 088 246000, www.wildlife-expeditions.com
Kota Kinabalu is on the map of Towns in Sabah
Tim discovers ...
Buy Your Long-Distance Bus Tickets Here!
If you are planning to travel Malaysia and Singapore by bus, you can now purchase your long-distance bus tickets directly from Bus Online Ticket
, where you get to check the schedule as well as price of tickets from various bus companies.
Join the Ezoic Google Certified Publishing Partner program
If you own a high-traffic blog or website (one that receives over 10,000 visitors per month), you may apply to join Ezoic, a Google Certified Publishing Partner, that has a program that can place higher-paying Adsense ads on your site. If you wish to know more, ask me about it
Thank you for visiting my website
. I started it in 2003, and today it has over twenty thousand pages of information. My name is Timothy Tye
. You can call me Tim. I have been writing my website full time since 1 November 2007, and I am enjoying every moment of it. I write my website to satisfy my own curiosity, but I am glad if the information is useful to you.
As a Christian, I hope that through this website, I am able to deliver God's Good News
to those who need it all over the world. If you wish to contact me, please submit the contact form
. Thanks again, don't forget to follow me on Facebook
Malaysia Travel Tips!
My Malaysia Travel Tips
has useful information on every state in Malaysia (Johor
, Negeri Sembilan
) and every major city and destination (Kuala Lumpur
, Johor Bahru
, Cameron Highlands
, Kota Kinabalu
, Alor Setar
, Petaling Jaya
, Kota Bharu
, Kuala Terengganu
) and hundreds of smaller towns.
Singapore Travel Tips!
In addition to covering Malaysia, I have created the travel tips for Singapore. Please visit my Singapore Travel Tips
for browse through the pages there.
Copyright © 2003-2018 Timothy Tye
. All Rights Reserved.