(GPS: 4.39949, 113.99138) is the second largest city in Sarawak after Kuching. It is located in the Miri District, which covers an area of 4704 sq km within the Miri Division
. The main part of the city is located on a tongue of land wrapped around by the Miri River. With a population of 300,000, Miri is the 9th town in Malaysia to be given city status on 20 May, 2005. The Pan Borneo Highway
passes through Miri, connecting it with other major towns of Sarawak as well as with Brunei and Sabah.
Location of Sights in Miri on the map
Hotels in Miri
- Miri Marriott Resort & Spa (GPS: 4.37458, 113.97178)
- Imperial Palace Hotel (GPS: 4.40471, 114.00042)
- Mega Hotel Miri (GPS: 4.39684, 113.98813)
- Meritz Hotel Miri (GPS: 4.3972, 113.99332)
- ParkCity Everly Hotel Miri (GPS: 4.37826, 113.97553)
- Grand Palace Hotel (GPS: 4.40561, 114.00242)
- Ajang Hotel (GPS: 4.39755, 113.9857)
Places of Interest in Miri
- Airport Road Outcrop (GPS: 4.3644, 113.97914)
- Bulatan Park (GPS: 4.39093, 113.99706)
- Canada Hill (GPS: 4.39093, 113.99706)
- Che Sing Khor Moral Uplifting Society (GPS: 4.42135, 114.00257)
- Hai Long Si Temple (GPS: 4.42135, 114.00257)
- Luak Esplanade (GPS: 4.31763, 113.96182)
- Miri Airport (GPS: 4.32674, 113.98332)
- Miri Buddhist Society (GPS: 4.39765, 113.98778)
- Miri Crocodile Farm (GPS: 4.57109, 113.97685)
- Miri Fish Market (GPS: 4.39187, 113.98544)
- Miri Handicraft Centre (GPS: 4.57109, 113.97685)
- Miri Indoor Stadium (GPS: 4.40549, 113.99498)
- Miri Mosque (GPS: 4.39765, 113.98778)
- Petroleum Museum and Grand Old Lady (GPS: 4.38923, 113.99491)
- City Fan Recreation Park (GPS: 4.40298, 113.99349)
- San Ching Tian Temple (GPS: 4.42309, 114.00312)
- Sea Horse Statue (GPS: 4.38331, 113.96871)
- Seventh Day Adventist Church Miri (GPS: 4.42135, 114.00257)
- Stadium Miri (GPS: 4.40446, 113.99578)
- Taman Awam Miri (GPS: 4.36734, 113.97939)
- Tamu Muhibbah (GPS: 4.38863, 113.98682)
- Tua Pek Kong Temple (GPS: 4.39168, 113.98535)
Beaches in Miri
Shopping in Miri
Other Places in Miri
- Miri Port (GPS: 4.56259, 114.04162) (not open to public)
Categories of sights in Miri
Miri is where Malaysia's petroleum industry began in 1910, when the first oil well was drilled there by Shell. That oil well is today a state monument and a local attraction. The first oil refinery in Malaysia, also built by Shell, was located in Lutong, near Miri, in 1914. Today, with the growth of Miri, Lutong is absorbed as a suburb.
Miri aerial view, Sarawakhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Miricity01.jpg
Apart from petroleum, the city is also a centre for timber, oil palm and tourism. Miri is the gateway to Gunung Mulu National Park
, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. There are also other national parks nearby, including Loagan Bunut National Park
, Lambir Hills National Park
and Niah National Park
. The sea off Miri has also been recently discovered for its coral reefs. The seahorse has been selected as the mascot of Miri, and sculptures of seahorse can be seen in various parts of the city.
Miri was granted city status in 2005, making it the first non-capital town in Malaysia to become a city. This forward looking town has always had its sight globally, as reflected in the choice of names for many of its local sights and attractions.
The new terminal of Miri Airport opened in 2005, putting Miri on the map as the hub for central Borneo. The airport is served by regular flights by Malaysia Airlines and AirAsia linking it to Kuching, Kota Kinabalu, Kuala Lumpur and Johor Bahru. In addition, MASWings provide connections with rural destinations including Gunung Mulu National Park, Bario
Top Attractions Near Miri
What to do in Miri
The following are some of the activities available in Miri. Check with a local tour operator.
- Caving: Miri is the gateway to Gunung Mulu National Park, home to Mulu Caves
- Hiking: Also within Gunung Mulu National Park is the Pinnacles
- Diving: There is a Japanese World War II shipwreck called Atago Maru located off the long jetty south of the city. Another dive spot is the Kenyalang artificial reef created in 2004.
- Whitewater Rafting: This is available on the upper Baram River.
- Mountain Biking: The Miri Mountain Bike Club (Tel: 085 423589) organises regular biking trips
Miri on Google Street View
Hai Long Si Temple Miri
Miri City Fan Recreation Park
You can look for and book your hotel room direct from this website. Find hotels in the different towns in Sarawak
, or use the search box below to look for hotels in Sarawak's capital, Kuching. Filter the results based on your requirement, everything from five star hotels to homestays and more.
Enjoy a vacation at The Haven Resort Hotel Ipoh, an award-winning all suite resort nestled in the midst of the limestone hills of Ipoh, now with an exclusive 10% discount for readers of this website!
Buy Your Long-Distance Bus Tickets Here!
If you are planning to travel Malaysia and Singapore by bus, you can now purchase your long-distance bus tickets directly from Bus Online Ticket
, where you get to check the schedule as well as price of tickets from various bus companies.
Hello and welcome! My name is Timothy Tye
or simply Tim. This is my personal encyclopedia. I created it to compile all the information about places. It represents my body of travel knowledge collected since 2003, and still being updated almost daily.
As a Christian, I write on travel so that God's Good News
can reach every corner of the world and connect with those needing it. If you wish to ask me anything, feel free to contact me here
. Thank you for visiting, and have a great day!
Copyright © 2003-2017 Timothy Tye
. All Rights Reserved.