Shah Alam Travel Tips
(13 July, 2016)
Shah Alam Travel Tips
provides you the travel tips and information to plan your visit to the capital of Selangor. Shah Alam
(GPS: 3.07328, 101.51846) is a moderate-size city with a population of about half a million people. It is located straddling the districts of Petaling and Klang. The city is administered by the Shah Alam City Council (Majlis Bandaraya Shah Alam, MBSA), which looks after waste removal, town planning and building control, among others.
Location of sights in Shah Alam on the map
List of sights in Shah Alam
Categories of sights in Shah Alam
Taman Tasik Shah Alam
(29 December, 2006)
Night view of Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah Mosque in Shah Alamhttps://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Sultan_Salahuddin_Abdul_Aziz_Mosque#/media/File:Shah_Alam_Blue_mosque_at_night.jpg
Ezry Abdul Rahman
About Shah Alam
Shah Alam is the first planned city in Malaysia after independence. It was established in 1978 to be the capital of Selangor, replacing Kuala Lumpur which was incorporated into the Federal Territory in 1974. The site of Shah Alam was formerly rubber and oil palm plantations known as Sungai Renggam. It was named by the then Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah after his late father Sultan Alam Shah. Shah Alam was granted city status on 10 October, 2000.
What's there to see or do in Shah Alam
Being quite a young city, Shah Alam has mostly man-made sights such as public buildings, mosques, and parks.
How to reach Shah Alam
Shah Alam is about 20 kilometers to the west of Kuala Lumpur on the Federal Highway. RapidKL has several buses between Kuala Lumpur and Shah Alam include U80 (Pasar Seni to UiTM Shah Alam) and U81 (Pasar Seni to Subang Suria).
Getting Around Shah Alam
It is best to drive in Shah Alam, as the place is quite sprawling. The main road, on which most of the sights are located, is Persiaran Sultan, accessed through Exit 401 (Darul Ehsan Interchange) on the Federal Highway.
Places of Interest in Shah Alam
- Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Mosque: The largest mosque in Malaysia and one of the largest in Southeast Asia.
- Shah Alam Lake Gardens: Public park built around a man-made lake.
- Dataran Bunga: Hibiscus park within the Shah Alam Lake Gardens.
- Dataran Kemerdekaan: Public square built in conjunction with the 43rd Merdeka celebrations held in Shah Alam in 2000.
- Dataran Shah Alam: Public square next to Wisma MBSA along Persiaran Sultan.
- Galeri Shah Alam: Art gallery at Persiaran Tasik exhibiting works by local and foreign artists.
- Kompleks Taman Seni Islam: A centre for enhancing the appreciation of Islamic art.
- Laman Budaya: Site where cultural events and performances are held.
- Shah Alam Go-Cart Circuit: Go-cart circuit located within the grounds of the Shah Alam Stadium in Section 13.
- Perpustakaan Raja Tun Uda: Main public library of Selangor.
- Darul Ehsan Aquatic Centre: Centre with Olympic-size swimming pool.
- Muzium Sultan Alam Shah: The biggest museum in Selangor
- Stadium Malawati: Indoor stadium accommodating 13,000 spectators.
- Section 28 Recreational Park: 4-hectare park which won the first prize in the 2002 National Level Landscape competition.
- Shah Alam Extreme Sports Park: Public recreational park for skateboarding, wall climbing, paint ball and the like, in Section 13 Shah Alam.
- Shah Alam Wetland Park: Public park with recreational facilities at Kota Kemuning, Section 31.
- Wet World Theme Park: Recreational theme park in Shah Alam.
- Shah Alam Stadium: The biggest stadium in Southeast Asia with a capacity of 80,000 spectators.
- Bukit SUK Recreational Forest: Public recreational forest in Section 5 Shah Alam.
- Kompleks PKNS: Exhibition and shopping venue within the Selangor State Development Authority building.
- Bukit Cahaya Seri Alam Agricultural Park: Located within the Bukit Cerakah Forest Reserve, on the northern part of Shah Alam, this is Malaysia's first agriculture park opened in 1986.
- High 5 Bread Town: The first bread museum in Malaysia, located at Section 21 of Shah Alam.
You can look for and book your hotel room direct from this website. Find hotels in the different towns in Selangor
, or use the search box below to look for hotels in Selangor's capital, Shah Alam. Filter the results based on your requirement, everything from five star hotels to homestays and more.
Enjoy a vacation at The Haven Resort Hotel Ipoh, an award-winning all suite resort nestled in the midst of the limestone hills of Ipoh, now with an exclusive 10% discount for readers of this website!
Buy Your Long-Distance Bus Tickets Here!
If you are planning to travel Malaysia and Singapore by bus, you can now purchase your long-distance bus tickets directly from Bus Online Ticket
, where you get to check the schedule as well as price of tickets from various bus companies.
Hello and welcome! My name is Timothy Tye
or simply Tim. This is my personal encyclopedia. I created it to compile all the information about places. It represents my body of travel knowledge collected since 2003, and still being updated almost daily.
As a Christian, I write on travel so that God's Good News
can reach every corner of the world and connect with those needing it. If you wish to ask me anything, feel free to contact me here
. Thank you for visiting, and have a great day!
Copyright © 2003-2017 Timothy Tye
. All Rights Reserved.