(Traditional Chinese: 明古連街, Simplified Chinese: 明古连街, Pinyin: Mínggǔlián Jiē, Malay: Leboh Bengkulu) is one of the major roads in the Central region of Singapore. Almost arrow straight, it runs in a diagonal fashion from the northeast to the southwest, starting at the intersection with Rochor Road
/Rochor Canal Road
(from Jalan Besar
), and ending at the intersection with Stamford Road
(where it continues as Fort Canning Road).
Bencoolen Street was named after the city of Bencoolen, now called Bengkulu
, in Sumatra. This was where Stamford Raffles found himself unhappily sojourned in 1818, just before he established Singapore.
Bencoolen Street is intersected by Middle Road
and Orchard Road
. Among the sights along the way include Sim Lim Square
, Albert Complex, Burlington Square
, The Bencoolen
, Summerview, Hotel Ibis, Sunshine Plaza, Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts, Masjid Bencoolen, LKN-Prinsep House, Intellectural Property Office of Singapore, and the Singapore Management University.
Sights on Bencoolen Street
- Al-Jilani Restaurant (GPS: 1.3008, 103.85158)
- Albert Complex (GPS: 1.3024, 103.85379)
- Bayview Hotel (GPS: 1.29868, 103.85035)
- Bencoolen Hotel (GPS: 1.2989, 103.85005)
- Burlington Square (GPS: 1.30232, 103.85255)
- Fortune Centre (GPS: 1.30057, 103.85205)
- Hotel 81 (GPS: 1.29907, 103.85018)
- Hotel Strand (GPS: 1.29865, 103.84981)
- Ibis Hotel (GPS: 1.3013, 103.85267)
- Manulife Centre (GPS: 1.29788, 103.85018)
- Masjid Bencoolen (GPS: 1.29927, 103.85037)
- NAFA - Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts (GPS: 1.29998, 103.85167)
- NAFA Campus 2 (GPS: 1.29888, 103.8505)
- NAFA Campus 3 (GPS: 1.3014, 103.8519)
- Rendezvous Hotel (GPS: 1.29844, 103.84927)
- Ruixiang Restaurant (GPS: 1.3009, 103.85175)
- Sim Lim Square (GPS: 1.30307, 103.85297)
- Singapore Management University - School of Economics and Social Sciences (GPS: 1.29786, 103.84887)
- Singapore Management University - School of Information Systems (GPS: 1.29734, 103.84955)
- Summer View Hotel (GPS: 1.30168, 103.85223)
- Sunshine Plaza (GPS: 1.3004, 103.85097)
- The Bencoolen Condominium (GPS: 1.30187, 103.85321)
- V Hotel Bencoolen (GPS: 1.29903, 103.85064)
- Singapore Street Names by Victor R Savage and Brenda S.A. Yeoh (2004), ISBN 981-210-364-3
Planning Areas of Singapore
"Planning Areas" are the de facto districts of Singapore. This map shows you all the planning areas of the island nation. Click on them to get to know each area.
Explore Singapore made easy with MRT
This comprehensive map of the Singapore Mass Rapid Transit shows you every station in the network, so that you can easily plan your journeys and change trains accordingly. As with the bus and LRT, you are charged a fare according to the distance travelled.
Buy Your Long-Distance Bus Tickets Here!
If you are planning to travel Malaysia and Singapore by bus, you can now purchase your long-distance bus tickets directly from Bus Online Ticket
, where you get to check the schedule as well as price of tickets from various bus companies.
Thank you for visiting my website
. I started it in 2003, and today it has over twenty thousand pages of information. My name is Timothy Tye
. You can call me Tim. I have been writing my website full time since 1 November 2007, and I am enjoying every moment of it. I write my website to satisfy my own curiosity, but I am glad if the information is useful to you.
As a Christian, I hope that through this website, I am able to deliver God's Good News
to those who need it all over the world. If you wish to contact me, please submit the contact form
. Thanks again, don't forget to follow me on Facebook
Copyright © 2003-2018 Timothy Tye
. All Rights Reserved.