Orchard Road, Singapore
(10 July, 2011)
(Traditional Chinese: 烏節路; Simplified Chinese: 乌节路; Pinyin: Wūjié Lù; Tamil: ஓர்ச்சர்ட் சாலை/IPA: Ōrccarṭ Cālai; Malay: Jalan Kebun) is a major road in Singapore. It is renowned as a major shopping destination. The road is known in Hokkien as Tang1lin2 Pa1sat1 Kay1
(Tanglin Market Street), and in Tamil as Vaira Kimadam
(Fakir's Place). Due to the development of Singapore, Orchard Road has developed into three branches. The main branch of Orchard Road runs in an easterly direction. It continues from Tanglin Road
, immediately after the junction with Orange Grove Road. From there, it continues in a single direction eastward until the intersection with Handy Road, from where it continues as Bras Basah Road
The second branch of Orchard Road is to the south of the main branch. It begins at the intersection with Bencoolen Street
, from where it continues from Stamford Road
through the Fort Canning Tunnel
. From there, it continues in a westerly direction until it merges once more with Stamford Road, to continue as Penang Road
The third branch of Orchard Road is a small unnamed lane off Claymore Road
, parallel to the main branch. Its access junction is at Claymore Road in front of the Orchard Hotel Shopping Arcade.
Orchard Road has been around for close to two hundred years, having been laid as early as 1830. It was still unnamed in the early Map of Singapore by architect George Coleman from 1836. During its early years, it was covered with plantations, originally of gambier and pepper, and later on with nutmeg and fruits. Orchard Road was named after the fruit orchards that were there in the 1840's. However, there was also a British by the name of Orchard who had his garden on the road, at the corner with Scott Road, which helped to make the name stick.
Private houses began to appear on Orchard Road from the 1860's onwards. In the 1890's, the Thai monarch King Chulalongkorn acquired an existing property, known then as Hurricane House, through the Thai Consul in Singapore, Tan Kim Cheng. A couple of adjacent properties were added to the acquisition, and this forms the site of the present Royal Thai Embassy premises at 370 Orchard Road. In the 20th century, Orchard Road began to evolve from a plantation road to a shopping street in the 1950's. Although plantation-related names still remain in the sign roads such as Nutmeg Road, Orange Grove Road and Jalan Lada Puteh ("white pepper road"), the character of Orchard Road was transforming and urbanizing.
Map of Orchard Road
MRT Stations in and around Orchard Road
Hotels in and around Orchard Road
- Concorde Hotel Singapore (GPS: 1.30063, 103.84201)
- Grand Hyatt Singapore, Scotts Road
- Grand Park Orchard (GPS: 1.30321, 103.8364)
- Hilton Singapore (GPS: 1.30587, 103.82937)
- Hotel Jen Orchardgateway
- Mandarin Orchard Singapore (GPS: 1.30189, 103.83638)
- Orchard Hotel Singapore (GPS: 1.30766, 103.82855)
- Orchard Parade Hotel (GPS: 1.30667, 103.82764)
- Regent Singapore - A Four Seasons Hotel
- Shangri-la Singapore, Orange Grove Road
- Sheraton Towers, Scotts Road
- York Hotel Singapore, Mount Elizabeth
Sights along Orchard Road
Orchard Road roadsign
- 313@Somerset (GPS: 1.30118, 103.83837)
- Abercrombie & Fitch (GPS: 1.30299, 103.83623)
- CentrePoint Shopping Centre (GPS: 1.30156, 103.83977)
- DFS Galleria
- Faber House (GPS: 1.30201, 103.83822)
- Far East Plaza
- Far East Shopping Centre (GPS: 1.30556, 103.82989)
- Forum The Shopping Mall (GPS: 1.30623, 103.82865)
- Hilton Shopping Gallery (GPS: 1.30587, 103.82937)
- International Building (GPS: 1.30616, 103.83099)
- ION Orchard (GPS: 1.30394, 103.83198)
- Istana (GPS: 1.29987, 103.84384)
- Istana Park (GPS: 1.2993, 103.84386)
- Liat Towers
- Lucky Plaza (GPS: 1.30439, 103.83408)
- MacDonald House (GPS: 1.29914, 103.84617)
- Mandarin Gallery (GPS: 1.30189, 103.83638)
- MDIS - Management Development Institute of Singapore (GPS: 1.29892, 103.84681)
- Midpoint Orchard (GPS: 1.30173, 103.8388)
- Ngee Ann City (GPS: 1.3026, 103.83453)
- OG Orchard Building (GPS: 1.30185, 103.83849)
- Orchard Building (GPS: 1.30145, 103.83725)
- Orchard Central (GPS: 1.3007, 103.83963)
- Orchard Gateway (GPS: 1.30107, 103.83889)
- Orchard Plaza (GPS: 1.30115, 103.84118)
- Orchard Point (GPS: 1.30129, 103.84056)
- Orchard Road Presbyterian Church (GPS: 1.29789, 103.84753)
- Orchard Shopping Centre (GPS: 1.30145, 103.83725)
- Orchard Towers (GPS: 1.30699, 103.82914)
- Pacific Plaza
- Palais Renaissance (GPS: 1.30671, 103.82959)
- Peranakan Place (GPS: 1.30141, 103.83929)
- Plaza Singapura (GPS: 1.30012, 103.84484)
- Royal Thai Embassy (GPS: 1.30652, 103.83037)
- Scotts Square
- Shaw House and Shaw Centre (GPS: 1.30573, 103.83165)
- SMU School of Social Sciences and Economics (GPS: 1.29789, 103.84882)
- Tang Plaza (GPS: 1.30498, 103.83299)
- The Atrium (GPS: 1.2996, 103.84556)
- The Centrepoint
- The Heeren Shops (GPS: 1.30263, 103.8373)
- The Paragon Shopping Centre (GPS: 1.30379, 103.8355)
- Tong Building (GPS: 1.3041, 103.83484)
- Wheelock Place (GPS: 1.30474, 103.83055)
- Wisma Atria (GPS: 1.30377, 103.83316)
- YMCA Singapore (GPS: 1.29764, 103.84813)
(27 July, 2017)
Orchard Road, at intersection with Paterson Road and Scotts Road.
(27 July, 2017)
Road sign of Orchard Road at junction of Orchard Road with Paterson Road.
(27 July, 2017)
Pedestrian promenade along Orchard Road.
(10 July, 2011)
Taxis at Orchard Road.
(13 September, 2010)
Orchard Road signage
(13 September, 2010)
You can look for and book your hotel room direct from this website. Click this link to find hotels in Singapore
, or use the search box below. You can filter the results based on your requirement, everything from five star hotels to homestays and more.
Look for a specific type of accommodation in Singapore
Planning Areas of Singapore
"Planning Areas" are the de facto districts of Singapore. This map shows you all the planning areas of the island nation. Click on them to get to know each area.
Explore Singapore made easy with MRT
This comprehensive map of the Singapore Mass Rapid Transit shows you every station in the network, so that you can easily plan your journeys and change trains accordingly. As with the bus and LRT, you are charged a fare according to the distance travelled.
Enjoy a vacation at The Haven Resort Hotel Ipoh, an award-winning all suite resort nestled in the midst of the limestone hills of Ipoh, now with an exclusive 10% discount for readers of this website!
Buy Your Long-Distance Bus Tickets Here!
If you are planning to travel Malaysia and Singapore by bus, you can now purchase your long-distance bus tickets directly from Bus Online Ticket
, where you get to check the schedule as well as price of tickets from various bus companies.
Hello and welcome! My name is Timothy Tye
or simply Tim. This is my personal encyclopedia. I created it to compile all the information about places. It represents my body of travel knowledge collected since 2003, and still being updated almost daily.
As a Christian, I write on travel so that God's Good News
can reach every corner of the world and connect with those needing it. If you wish to ask me anything, feel free to contact me here
. Thank you for visiting, and have a great day!
Copyright © 2003-2017 Timothy Tye
. All Rights Reserved.