Harbour of Nice, Francehttps://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Hafen_von_Nizza.jpg
is a country in Western Europe. With a size of 674,843 square kilometers (260,558 sq miles), France is the biggest country in Continental Europe. It shares a border with many other European countries including with Belgium and Luxembourg to the northeast, Germany and Switzerland to the east, Italy to the southeast, and Spain to the southwest. In addition, the tiny principality of Monaco forms an enclave to the south of France while Andorra is a small independent country between France and Spain. Across the English Channel lies the British Isles to the northwest.
France Travel Information
- Official Name: France
- Capital: Paris (2,208,900)
- Population of France: 60,656,000
- Currency: Euro
- Languages spoken: French
- Religions: Roman Catholic (85%), Muslim, Protestant, others
- Size: 547,030 sq km (204,134 sq miles)
Major Cities of France
Categories of Sights in France
Regions of Metropolitan France
Territorial Collectivity of France
Overseas Regions of France
Porte Cailhau, Bordeaux, Francehttps://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bordeaux_Porte_Cailhau.jpg
The 2010 estimate places the population of France at around 65.4 million. It is the fifth largest economy in the world by nominal Gross Domestic Product, and the 8th largest by Purchasing Power Parity. The capital of France is Paris. This city of 2.2 million is located in a Métropolitan area of 11.7 million people. It is both the largest city within one of the most populated Métropolitan areas in Europe.
In addition to mainland France, which is called Métropolitan France, the country also count a number of territories in North America, the Caribbean, South America, southern Indian Ocean, the Pacific Ocean and Antarctica. The forms of government in these territories range from overseas department to overseas collectivity.
The tomb of Napoleon Bonapartehttps://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Tomb_of_Napoleon_Bonaparte_D%C3%B4me_des_Invalides_Paris_France_001.JPG
France is one of the world's most popular tourist destinations. It has much to offer in terms of sights and is particularly famous for its cuisine, history, fashion and culture. In this Travel Guide to France, I want to provide you with a description of every major tourist destination and sight that the country has to offer. You will find these listed on the right column. When I complete describing each destination, I will place a link to this page, so check back often as the information is added regularly.
L'église de la Madeleinehttps://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Madeleine_Paris.jpg
Porte Saint-Pierre, a medieval gate at the Maréchal-Foch town square in Nanteshttps://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Nantes_-_Porte_Saint-Pierre_01.jpg
World Heritage Sites in France
- Chartres Cathedral
- Mont-Saint-Michel and its Bay
- Palace and Park of Versailles
- Prehistoric Sites and Decorated Caves of the Vézère Valley
- Vézelay, Church and Hill
- Amiens Cathedral
- Arles, Roman and Romanesque Monuments
- Cistercian Abbey of Fontenay
- Palace and Park of Fontainebleau
- Roman Theatre and its Surroundings and the Triumphal Arch of Orange
- From the Great Saltworks of Salins-les-Bains to the Royal Saltworks of Arc-et-Senans, the production of open-pan salt
- Abbey Church of Saint-Savin sur Gartempe
- Gulf of Porto: Calanche of Piana, Gulf of Girolata, Scandola Reserve
- Place Stanislas, Place de la Carrière and Place d'Alliance in Nancy
- Pont du Gard (Roman Aqueduct)
- Strasbourg - Grande Île
- Cathedral of Notre-Dame, Former Abbey of Saint-Remi and Palace of Tau, Reims
- Paris, Banks of the Seine
- Bourges Cathedral
- Historic Centre of Avignon: Papal Palace, Episcopal Ensemble and Avignon Bridge
- Canal du Midi
- Historic Fortified City of Carcassonne
- Pyrénées - Mont Perdu
- Historic Site of Lyons
- Routes of Santiago de Compostela in France
- Belfries of Belgium and France
- Jurisdiction of Saint-Emilion
- The Loire Valley between Sully-sur-Loire and Chalonnes
- Provins, Town of Medieval Fairs
- Le Havre, the City Rebuilt by Auguste Perret
- Bordeaux, Port of the Moon
- Fortifications of Vauban
- Lagoons of New Caledonia: Reef Diversity and Associated Ecosystems
- Episcopal City of Albi
- Pitons, Cirques and Remparts of Reunion Island
Most Famous Sights in France
Basilique Saint Amable, Riom, Auvergne, Francehttps://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:FRANCE_-_Auvergne_-_RIOM_-_La_basilique_Saint_Amable_Interieur.JPG
Planning your trip to France
The following are the airports serving Paris:
Eure-et-Loir Chartes Les bords de l'Eure, Francehttps://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:France_Eure_et_Loir_Chartres_Bords_de_l_Eure.jpg
- Charles de Gaulle International Airport (CDG) is located 23km (14 miles) to the northeast of Paris. It is the biggest airport in France and a major travel hub for Europe. It also consists of many terminals, and can be confusing. Allow ample time to find your way around, especially if you need to transit. CDG is the homebase for national carrier Air France, which uses Terminal 2 along with its SkyTeam Alliance partners Dutch KLM, AeroMexico, Alitalia, US Continental, NorthWest, Delta Airlines and Korean Air.
Trains connecting CDG to Paris runs every 15 minutes, costs €8.50 and makes the journey to the Châtelet-Les Halles station in 40 minutes. There is a high-speed TGV train station within the airport that provides connection to Lille and Brussels to the north, and Rennes and Nantes to the south, bypassing Paris.
- Orly International Airport (ORY) is the older airport serving Paris. It is used by Air France for domestic flights, as well as other international carriers for European destinations. Orly is forty minutes from Paris on OrlyBus from the Métro Denfert-Rochereau station, and the fare is €6.
- Aéroport de Paris Beauvais Tillé (BVA) is another airport serving Paris. This small regional airport is used by low cost carriers including Ryanair.
France Entry Requirements
Nationals of US, Australia, Canada, Britain and other EU countries do not need a visa for entering France.
How to explore France by Train
Trains are a great way to explore France. The national railway company is called SNCF, which stands for Société Nationale des Chemins de fer Français. The Voyages SNCF website shows you the schedules and allows you to book interregional trains. For regional trains, go to Ter-SNCF website.
La Manneporte, a natural arch located west of Étretat in Normandyhttps://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:La_Manneporte-Etretat-Normandie.jpg
How to explore France by Car
Car rental is plentiful and offers a great way to discover the "off the beaten track" France. Pre-paying for your vehicle gives the best value for cheap car hire in France and avoids any surprises for added extras when you pick up the vehicle. Rental locations can be found throughout the country in all major cities, towns and airports.
How to make sense of the currency of France
France uses the Euro, €. Banknotes are in denominations of €500, 200, 100, 50, 20, 10 and 5 while coins are in denominations of 1 cent, 2 cents, 5 cents, 10 cents, 20 cents, 50 cents, €1 and €2. Banking hours are from 9:00am to 12:00 noon and 2:00pm to 5:00pm.
Cabanes tchanquées near Arcachon, Francehttps://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bassin_d%27Arcachon_-_Cabanes_tchanqu%C3%A9es.jpg
When to visit France
The best time is spring, around May. If you are going to France for skiing, then it's winter that is best in the French Alps and the Pyrenees.
Bourges Cathedral, Francehttps://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Kathedrale_Bourges_v2.jpg
What to wear in France
Lightweight clothing for summer and waterproof gear for the mountains. Warm clothing required in winter, including along the Mediterranean coasts.
Add your business/shop to my site
How would you like to have your business or shop added to this website, so that would-be customers can easily find you? This website provides place information of the whole world, with special emphasis on Malaysia and Singapore.
If you has a shop or business anywhere in Malaysia or Singapore, with a physical location, you may have your shop listed on one of the pages of this site. For example, a shop in Cheras will be placed on the Cheras page, another in Kota Bharu is listed in the Kota Bharu page, and so on. You only need to pay a one-time fee, and your shop will be listed for you for as long as this site is still running. There are different placement plans available. To find out more, CONTACT ME
If you're travelling somewhere, look for accommodation using the Search Hotel engine below. It helps you find the online booking site that offers the best rates for the room you want.
Going somewhere by express bus in Malaysia/Singapore?
Book your bus ticket online right here.
It is easy, safe and fast!.
Book your hotel room here
If you're traveling somewhere soon, book your hotel room online with Agoda. Agoda offers the best prices on 2,000,000+ properties worldwide. Click here
to find the room you want.
Looking for a book? Get it from Book Depository with free delivery worldwide!
I have just discovered Book Depository
, a subsidiary of Amazon.com, and I love it. This is where you can buy books and have them sent to you. But unlike Amazon, when you purchase using Book Depository, you enjoy free delivery worldwide. Give it a try today!
Hire a car
| Our Recipes
| Facebook Posts
| Just Curious
| Not In The Dictionary
| Our Flowering Garden
My YouTube Videos
Check out my YouTube Channel
and don't forget to subscribe!
About Timothy Tye
Welcome to my website, Discover with Timothy Tye
. I started it in 2003 to freely share information about places. Today it has close to thirty thousand pages. I have been writing this website full time since 1 November 2007, and continue to do so as a means to satisfy my curiosity about the world around me. I am happy if the information I have assembled is useful to you. Please follow me on Facebook
As a Christian, I hope that through this website, I am able to deliver God's Good News
to those who need it all over the world. If you wish to contact me, please submit the contact form
. Thanks again, don't forget to follow me on Facebook
Malaysia Travel Tips!
My Malaysia Travel Tips
has useful information on every state in Malaysia (Johor
, Negeri Sembilan
) and every major city and destination (Kuala Lumpur
, Johor Bahru
, Cameron Highlands
, Kota Kinabalu
, Alor Setar
, Petaling Jaya
, Kota Bharu
, Kuala Terengganu
) and hundreds of smaller towns.
Singapore Travel Tips!
In addition to covering Malaysia, I have created the travel tips for Singapore. Please visit my Singapore Travel Tips
for browse through the pages there.
This website is hosted on Bluehost
, one of the biggest web hosting companies in the world.
Copyright © 2003-2019 Timothy Tye
. All Rights Reserved.