is a city in the borough of Merseyside, on the west coast of England. It was founded some time in AD 1207, and was granted city status in 1880. Presently Liverpool has a population of around 430,000 while the Liverpool Urban Area has a population of 820,000. It is the 4th largest city in UK.
Liverpool benefited from its position as a major British port, especially in the 18th century, when there was an increase in trade with the West Indies, Ireland and mainland Europe. The Atlantic Slave Trade also helped to fuel the expansion of Liverpool. As a measure of Liverpool's importance, 40% of the world's trade passed through its ports in the early 19th century.
St George's Hall, Liverpool
Liverpool is probably best known in the international arena as the home base of the pop group The Beatles, an asset to the city that helps its tourism industry. It celebrated its 800th anniversary in 2007, and in 2008 it held the title of the European Capital of Culture with Stavanger, Norway.
Since 2004, parts of the inner city of Liverpool, including Pier Head, Albert Dock and William Brown Street, along with many of its historic landmarks, were inscribed as a World Heritage Site, referred to as the Liverpool Maritime Mercantile City.
Liverpool Anglican Cathedral
The Liverpool World Heritage Site
"Liverpool - Maritime Merchantile City" is the designation for the historic centre and docklands of Liverpool which was recognised as a World Heritage Site during the 28th session of the World Heritage Committee which was held in Suzhou, China, on 28 June - 7 July, 2004.
World Heritage Site Inscription Details
Location: N 53 24 24.0 W 2 59 40.0
Inscription Year: 2004
Inscription Criteria: II, III, IV
Going to Liverpool
The Liverpool John Lennon Airport (LPL) is the airport serving the city. It gets flights from a number of low-cost carriers including Easyjet and Ryanair. The airport is about 12 km from downtown Liverpool. Immediately outside the Arrival Hall is the bus stop and taxi stand.
The Airport Express Bus No. 500 goes to the city centre. The fare is €2.60 per adult for the 45-minute journey. In addition, a few buses by Arriva (80A, 82A and 86A) also goes to the city centre, taking approximately 40 to 45 minutes.
An alternative to flying directly to Liverpool is to fly to Manchester Airport (MAN). From there, you can reach Liverpool within 45-60 minutes. The airport is connected by train run by Northern Rail to the Liverpool Lime Street Station.
Liverpool's Lime Street Railway Station, in the heart of the city, gets trains from most cities in the United Kingdom. It takes 2 hours by train to reach Liverpool from London - the tickets start at £60 though you can get it for as low as £12.50 if you book weeks in advance.
National Express and Megabus operate buses to Liverpool from London. The journey takes about 4-5 hours. Usual fare is around £10 though on the low-cost Megabus, you can get a ticket for as little as £1.00 if you book way in advance.
Cunard House Memorial, with Royal Liver House in the background, Liverpool
It is convenient to explore Liverpool on foot. For longer distances, you can take the bus or the black cabs.
Places of Interest in Liverpool
- Royal Liver Building: Grade 1 heritage building in Liverpool.
- Walker Art Gallery: Gallery in Liverpool with one of the largest art collections in England outside of London.
- St George's Hall: Neo-Classical building listed as a Grade 1 heritage building housing concert halls and law courts.
- Albert Dock: 19th century dock that were restored and now house museums, galleries, shops and restaurants.
- Merseyside Maritime Museum: Museum chronicling the history of the Port of Liverpool.
- HM Customs and Excise National Museum: Museum on the history of customs, excise as well as smuggling activities.
- International Slavery Museum: Museum on the history of slavery and the slave trade as related to Liverpool.
- Museum of Liverpool Life: Museum on the history, culture and poeple of Liverpool.
- Beatles Story: Museum exhibiting the history of The Beatles group, from their first record to their last live appearance.
- Tate Liverpool: One of the best collection of contemporary art outside London.
- World Museum Liverpool: Museum with exhibits spanning different periods including Egyptian, Greek, Roman, and more.
- Anglican Cathedral: The largest Anglican cathedral and fifth largest cathedral in the world.
- Metropolitan Cathedral of Christ the King: Modern Roman Catholic cathedral of Liverpool.
Sights around Liverpool
- Speke Hall: Timbered building from 1490.
- Birkenhead: Town across the River Mersey from Liverpool.
- Port Sunlight Village: Victorian village built by soap manufacturer William Heskerth Lever for his factory workers.
- Lady Lever Art Gallery: Gallery housing William Heskerth Lever's collection of works of art.
Add your business/shop to my site
How would you like to have your business or shop added to this website, so that would-be customers can easily find you? This website provides place information of the whole world, with special emphasis on Malaysia and Singapore.
If you has a shop or business anywhere in Malaysia or Singapore, with a physical location, you may have your shop listed on one of the pages of this site. For example, a shop in Cheras will be placed on the Cheras page, another in Kota Bharu is listed in the Kota Bharu page, and so on. You only need to pay a one-time fee, and your shop will be listed for you for as long as this site is still running. There are different placement plans available. To find out more, CONTACT ME
If you're travelling somewhere, look for accommodation using the Search Hotel engine below. It helps you find the online booking site that offers the best rates for the room you want.
Going somewhere by express bus in Malaysia/Singapore?
Book your bus ticket online right here.
It is easy, safe and fast!.
Book your hotel room here
If you're traveling somewhere soon, book your hotel room online with Agoda. Agoda offers the best prices on 2,000,000+ properties worldwide. Click here
to find the room you want.
Looking for a book? Get it from Book Depository with free delivery worldwide!
I have just discovered Book Depository
, a subsidiary of Amazon.com, and I love it. This is where you can buy books and have them sent to you. But unlike Amazon, when you purchase using Book Depository, you enjoy free delivery worldwide. Give it a try today!
Hire a car
| Our Recipes
| Facebook Posts
| Just Curious
| Not In The Dictionary
| Our Flowering Garden
My YouTube Videos
Check out my YouTube Channel
and don't forget to subscribe!
About Timothy Tye
Welcome to my website, Discover with Timothy Tye
. I started it in 2003 to freely share information about places. Today it has close to thirty thousand pages. I have been writing this website full time since 1 November 2007, and continue to do so as a means to satisfy my curiosity about the world around me. I am happy if the information I have assembled is useful to you. Please follow me on Facebook
As a Christian, I hope that through this website, I am able to deliver God's Good News
to those who need it all over the world. If you wish to contact me, please submit the contact form
. Thanks again, don't forget to follow me on Facebook
Malaysia Travel Tips!
My Malaysia Travel Tips
has useful information on every state in Malaysia (Johor
, Negeri Sembilan
) and every major city and destination (Kuala Lumpur
, Johor Bahru
, Cameron Highlands
, Kota Kinabalu
, Alor Setar
, Petaling Jaya
, Kota Bharu
, Kuala Terengganu
) and hundreds of smaller towns.
Singapore Travel Tips!
In addition to covering Malaysia, I have created the travel tips for Singapore. Please visit my Singapore Travel Tips
for browse through the pages there.
This website is hosted on Bluehost
, one of the biggest web hosting companies in the world.
Copyright © 2003-2019 Timothy Tye
. All Rights Reserved.