Sungai Petani Clock Tower
(23 August, 2015)
(GPS: 5.64195, 100.48954; Jawi: سوڠاي ڤتاني) is the second biggest city in Kedah, after the capital Alor Setar
. It is popularly known as S.P. Located to the south of Kedah, Sungai Petani is closer to Penang
than to Alor Setar. (The influence of Penang is apparent in that most of the cars on the roads in Sungai Petani bear the Penang registration plate.) In the 1990's it was the second fastest growing town in Malaysia after Johor Bahru
, but the pace has somewhat stalled since the recession of the late 90's.
How to reach Sungai Petani
Sungai Petani is 35 km north of Butterworth
. You can reach itby car or by train. If you are going by car, take the North-South Expressway
to Exit 168 (Sungai Petani South) or Exit 170 (Sungai Petani North). By train, take the KTM Electric Train Service
, which serves the Sungai Petani Railway Station
between Kuala Lumpur
and Padang Besar
Where to stay in Sungai Petani
There are a few hotels in Sungai Petani. When asked to suggest where to stay, I would suggest the one where I have stayed before, and have enjoyed my stay there. That one is Cinta Sayang Resort
. The resort has its own golf course and also owns The Carnivall
water themepark next door.
Map of Sungai Petani
One of my aims with this travel guide is to help people planning to explore Sungai Petani find all the important sights easily. To do this, I am providing you the GPS coordinates for the places that I have identified.
Where to go in Sungai Petani
The Carnivall Water Theme Park
The Carnivall is the only water theme park in Sungai Petani. It has many slides of various heights. One can also go horse riding here, among other activities. The theme park is ideal for children and grown ups.Details
Places of Interest in Sungai Petani
- Amanjaya Mall (GPS: 5.67365, 100.50982)
- Arked Niaga Pekan Rabu (GPS: 5.67365, 100.50982)
- Central Square (GPS: 5.6364, 100.48854)
- [email protected] (GPS: 5.63965, 100.48171)
- Church of Christ the King (GPS: 5.64981, 100.48966)
- Cinta Sayang Resort (GPS: 5.65877, 100.51876)
- Econsave Bandar Petani Jaya (GPS: 5.62192, 100.54005)
- Econsave Taman Petani Jaya (GPS: 5.63138, 100.48777)
- Eupe Food Court (GPS: 5.65276, 100.51747)
- Giant Hypermarket Sungai Petani (GPS: 5.61645, 100.4716)
- HSBC Building (GPS: 5.64248, 100.48875)
- Kelab Sungai Petani (GPS: 5.64113, 100.48907)
- Kompleks Cayman (GPS: 5.63949, 100.4846)
- Merbok River Jetty Complex (GPS: 5.68223, 100.46828)
- Persatuan Pendidikan Akhlak Meng Lip Sean Kor (GPS: 5.69996, 100.52228)
- Petani Parade (GPS: 5.61288, 100.48455)
- Restoran Hussain Nasi Kandar (GPS: 5.64061, 100.48308)
- SP Plaza (GPS: 5.64516, 100.48858)
- Sri Suvbramaniya Swami Devasthanam Hindu Temple (GPS: 5.63857, 100.49267)
- Sultan Muzaffar Shah Mosque (GPS: 5.64716, 100.4877)
- Sultan Mudzaffar Shah I's Tomb (GPS: 5.68591, 100.4478)
- Sungai Petani Clock Tower (GPS: 5.64324, 100.48901)
- Sungai Petani Club (GPS: 5.64589, 100.48446)
- Sungai Petani Police Station (GPS: 5.64113, 100.48907)
- Sungai Petani Railway Station (GPS: 5.64302, 100.48975)
- Taman Jubli Perak (GPS: 5.64665, 100.48466)
- Tesco Sungai Petani, (GPS: 5.66146, 100.50187)
- Tesco Sungai Petani Selatan, (GPS: 5.62256, 100.47585)
- The Carnivall Waterpark (GPS: 5.66099, 100.52494)
- Ukir Square (Sungai Petani Express Bus Terminal), (GPS: 5.64302, 100.48975)
- Village Mall, (GPS: 5.66019, 100.50144)
- Wat Chaisuwan Pradittharam, (GPS: 5.59993, 100.46941)
Categories of sights in Sungai Petani
Petrol Stations in Sungai Petani
- BHP Jalan Kampung Baru (GPS: 5.636112, 100.486216)
- BHP Jalan Kuala Ketil (GPS: 5.634527, 100.501672)
- Caltex Lagenda Heights (GPS: 5.664149, 100.503565)
- Caltex Taman Sejati Indah (GPS: 5.614724, 100.482425)
- Petron Jalan Badlishah (GPS: 5.646336, 100.491869)
- Petron Jalan Bakar Arang (GPS: 5.630687, 100.481025)
- Petron Jalan Kampung Baru (GPS: 5.635361, 100.485506)
- Petron Sungai Lalang (GPS: 5.679945, 100.508195)
- Petronas Jalan Bakar Arang (GPS: 5.635361, 100.485506)
- Petronas Jalan Kuala Ketil (GPS: 5.634516, 100.501151)
- Petronas Taman Ria (GPS: 5.663839, 100.504402)
- Petronas Taman Sri Wang (GPS: 5.618200, 100.498071)
- Shell Jalan Kampung Baru (GPS: 5.636010, 100.485889)
- Shell Jalan Kuala Ketil (GPS: 5.636054, 100.499569)
Banks in Sungai Petani
- Affin Bank, Amanjaya (GPS: 5.670139, 100.506664)
- Al-Rajhi Bank, Lagenda Heights (GPS: 5.657477, 100.501020)
- AmBank, Taman Petani Jaya (GPS: 5.638179, 100.488809)
- Bank Islam, Lagenda Heights (GPS: 5.657188, 100.500876)
- Bank Islam, SP Plaza (GPS: 5.645012, 100.488816)
- Bank Simpanan Nasional, Amanjaya (GPS: 5.671943, 100.509051)
- Bank Islam, Jalan Ibrahim (GPS: 5.641803, 100.489106)
- Bank Islam, SP Plaza (GPS: 5.645012, 100.488816)
- Bank Simpanan Nasional, Jalan Ibrahim (GPS: 5.644582, 100.489543)
- Bank Islam, SP Plaza (GPS: 5.645012, 100.488816)
- Bank Muamalat, Perdana Heights (GPS: 5.671292, 100.506927)
- Bank RHB Islamic Bank, Perdana Heights (GPS: 5.670593, 100.506841)
- CIMB Bank, Jalan Kampung Baru (GPS: 5.636602, 100.487208)
- Hong Leong Bank, Lagenda Heights (GPS: 5.664214, 100.503137)
- Hong Leong Bank, Jalan Kampung Baru (GPS: 5.636137, 100.487358)
- HSBC Sungai Petani (GPS: 5.642428, 100.488709)
- Maybank, Lagenda Heights (GPS: 5.659041, 100.501605)
- OCBC Al-Amin, Lagenda Heights (GPS: 5.659222, 100.501358)
- Rakyat Xcess (GPS: 5.641456, 100.489181)
Hospitals in Sungai Petani
- Amanjaya Specialist Centre (GPS: 5.673145, 100.510778)
- Hospital Sultan Abdul Halim (GPS: 5.668459, 100.516351)
- Klinik Kesihatan Daerah Kuala Muda (GPS: 5.647550, 100.497271)
- Metro Specialist Hospital (GPS: 5.629068, 100.510080)
- Pantai Hospital Sungai Petani (GPS: 5.672398, 100.513262)
Mosques in Sungai Petani
Places of Interest in the vicinity of Sungai Petani
- Bukit Hijau: Recreational forest popular with local picnickers.
- Gunung Jerai: Highest peak in Kedah, with panoramic views all around.
- Kuala Muda: Local fishing port and village, a good place to buy fresh seafood and watch the fishing boats come to shore.
- Lembah Bujang Archaeological Museum: The best known archaeological site in Kedah, with remains of Hindu temples from as early as the 4th century AD.
- Lunas: Town near Sungai Petani, popular among the locals for its roasted duck delicacies.
- Sungai Sedim: Recreational forest with water sports and elevated canopy walk.
About Sungai Petani
Perhaps the most famous landmark in Sungai Petani is the Sungai Petani Clock Tower. In the last few years, the town has seen rapid development, both in terms of residential as well as commercial development. In recent years, a number of large shopping malls have opened in Sungai Petani, among them Amanjaya Mall and Village Mall.
There aren't many sightseeing places within Sungai Petani town itself. However, there are several interesting sights within a short distance out of town, including Gunung Jerai, Lembah Bujang, Kuala Muda, Tanjung Dawai, Bukit Hijau and Sungai Sedim, to name a few.
Etymology of Sungai Petani
Until the 1980's, Sungai Petani was spelled as Sungai Patani. Very old documents, for example those from 1928 and earlier, transcribes it as Sungei Pattani. There are several theories as to how the town got its name. The most simplistic explanation is that it derived its name from a river that flows through that area, one Sungai Patani. However, the river itself may have derived its name from Pattani
, in southern Thailand. Some scholars believe that there had been a trade route between the Kingdom of Langkasuka, in Pattani, and the Merbok estuary, in Kedah. Misguided language purists changed the spelling of the town from Sungai Patani to Sungai Petani. In the attempt to pin the town name with a meaningful word - to them, at least - they have distorted the toponym of the town.
When I met with Sungai Petani-born historian, Dato V. Nadarajan (on 11 August 2015), he told me that the town had existed since ancient times, and was most likely named after Pattani. This is seconded by the Sungai Petani Municipal Council1
, which states that the name came from the Sanskrit Pathini, which means "pure woman", which refers to a title given to a Merong Mahawangsa princess in the pre-Islamic era. Over time, it evolved to Patani before eventually transitioning to Petani, which means farmer in Malay.
The river flowing through the town is called Sungai Petani, but was originally known as Sungai Bertanding. A tributary of Sungai Merbok, it was renamed considering it is the main river flowing through the town.
Sungai Petani is on the map of Kedah
Add your business/shop to my site
How would you like to have your business or shop added to this website, so that would-be customers can easily find you? This website provides place information of the whole world, with special emphasis on Malaysia and Singapore.
If you has a shop or business anywhere in Malaysia or Singapore, with a physical location, you may have your shop listed on one of the pages of this site. For example, a shop in Cheras will be placed on the Cheras page, another in Kota Bharu is listed in the Kota Bharu page, and so on. You only need to pay a one-time fee, and your shop will be listed for you for as long as this site is still running. There are different placement plans available. To find out more, CONTACT ME
If you're travelling somewhere, look for accommodation using the Search Hotel engine below. It helps you find the online booking site that offers the best rates for the room you want.
Going somewhere by express bus in Malaysia/Singapore?
Book your bus ticket online right here.
It is easy, safe and fast!.
Book your hotel room here
If you're traveling somewhere soon, book your hotel room online with Agoda. Agoda offers the best prices on 2,000,000+ properties worldwide. Click here
to find the room you want.
Looking for a book? Get it from Book Depository with free delivery worldwide!
I have just discovered Book Depository
, a subsidiary of Amazon.com, and I love it. This is where you can buy books and have them sent to you. But unlike Amazon, when you purchase using Book Depository, you enjoy free delivery worldwide. Give it a try today!
Hire a car
| Our Recipes
| Facebook Posts
| Just Curious
| Not In The Dictionary
| Our Flowering Garden
My YouTube Videos
Check out my YouTube Channel
and don't forget to subscribe!
About Timothy Tye
Welcome to my website, Discover with Timothy Tye
. I started it in 2003 to freely share information about places. Today it has close to thirty thousand pages. I have been writing this website full time since 1 November 2007, and continue to do so as a means to satisfy my curiosity about the world around me. I am happy if the information I have assembled is useful to you. Please follow me on Facebook
As a Christian, I hope that through this website, I am able to deliver God's Good News
to those who need it all over the world. If you wish to contact me, please submit the contact form
. Thanks again, don't forget to follow me on Facebook
Malaysia Travel Tips!
My Malaysia Travel Tips
has useful information on every state in Malaysia (Johor
, Negeri Sembilan
) and every major city and destination (Kuala Lumpur
, Johor Bahru
, Cameron Highlands
, Kota Kinabalu
, Alor Setar
, Petaling Jaya
, Kota Bharu
, Kuala Terengganu
) and hundreds of smaller towns.
Singapore Travel Tips!
In addition to covering Malaysia, I have created the travel tips for Singapore. Please visit my Singapore Travel Tips
for browse through the pages there.
This website is hosted on Bluehost
, one of the biggest web hosting companies in the world.
Copyright © 2003-2019 Timothy Tye
. All Rights Reserved.