Malacca Travel Tips
(9 July, 2005)
Hello and welcome to Malacca Travel Tips
! This site is part of my travel encyclopedia. Its purpose is to provide you all details about every
place Malacca. As such, it is forever a work in progress, as new sights are added the whole time.
Malacca is a historic state on the coast to the south of Kuala Lumpur
, Malacca is regarded as the cradle of Malay civilization, for it was through Malacca that the peninsula experienced its most glorious and powerful Malay kingdom, the Sultanate of Malacca, which flourished in the 15th century. Today Malacca Town, recognised as a historic city, was inscribed by UNESCO in 7 July, 2008, together with the George Town World Heritage Site
, titled the Historic Cities of the Straits of Melaka.
Where to stay when in Malacca
As a custom, I suggest only hotels that I have personally stayed before and have experienced its hospitality. In Malacca, that would be The Majestic Malacca
Map of of sights in Malacca Historic City Centre
Sights & Attractions of Malacca
- 8 Heeren Street (GPS: 2.19478, 102.24759)
- Admiral Cheng Ho Statue (GPS: 2.19366, 102.24917)
- Bastion House (GPS: 2.19163, 102.24985)
- Chee Ancestral Home (GPS: 2.19631, 102.24511)
- Cheng Ho Cultural Museum (GPS: 2.19537, 102.24858)
- Cheng Hoon Teng Temple (GPS: 2.19734, 102.24688)
- Chinese War Memorial (GPS: 2.1956, 102.2554)
- Chitty Village (GPS: 2.2013, 102.24035)
- Christ Church (GPS: 2.1943, 102.24952)
- Dol Said Mausoleum (GPS: 2.45258, 102.18097)
- Durian Tunggal Recreational Lake (GPS: 2.33553, 102.30687)
- Dutch Graveyard (GPS: 2.19363, 102.25054)
- Dutch Square (GPS: 2.19452, 102.24918)
- Eng Choon Association (GPS: 2.19652, 102.24507)
- Fortaleza de Malaca / Porta de Santiago (GPS: 2.19188, 102.25033)
- Governor's Museum (GPS: 2.19318, 102.24998)
- Hang Jebat Mausoleum (GPS: 2.19665, 102.2487)
- Hang Kasturi Mausoleum (GPS: 2.19715, 102.24628)
- Hang Tuah Mausoleum (GPS: 2.2179, 102.15861)
- Hospital Melaka (GPS: 2.21738, 102.26073)
- Jambatan Hang Jebat (GPS: 2.20804, 102.25151)
- Jonker Walk Night Market (GPS: 2.19533, 102.24797)
- Kampung Hulu Mosque (GPS: 2.19925, 102.24751)
- Kampung Jawa (GPS: 2.19832, 102.24948)
- Kampung Kling Mosque (GPS: 2.19677, 102.24749)
- Kampung Morten (GPS: 2.20284, 102.2513)
- Malacca Butterfly & Reptile Park (GPS: 2.26293, 102.30095)
- Malacca Hokkien Association (GPS: 2.19581, 102.24732)
- Malacca Sultanate Palace (GPS: 2.19279, 102.25042)
- Malaysia Youth Museum (GPS: 2.19455, 102.24945)
- Maritime Museum (GPS: 2.192, 102.24659)
- Masjid Fathur Rahman, Pengkalan Rama (GPS: 2.20773, 102.25358)
- Melaka Alive (GPS: 2.19142, 102.25058)
- Melaka Hainan Association (GPS: 2.19754, 102.2455)
- Melaka Islamic Museum (GPS: 2.19246, 102.24864)
- Melaka UMNO Museum (GPS: 2.19195, 102.24892)
- Museum of Architecture (GPS: 2.19275, 102.24856)
- Museum of Enduring Beauty (GPS: 2.19167, 102.2492)
- Perigi Rajah (GPS: 2.19583, 102.25531)
- Poh San Teng Temple (GPS: 2.19601, 102.25545)
- Portuguese Settlement (GPS: 2.18339, 102.26703)
- Proclamation of Independence Memorial (GPS: 2.19189, 102.25089)
- Sri Poyyatha Vinayagar Moorthi Temple (GPS: 2.19644, 102.24777)
- Stadthuys / Museum of Ethnography (GPS: 2.194, 102.2491)
- St Francis Xavier's Church (GPS: 2.19516, 102.25065)
- St Francis Xavier's Statue (GPS: 2.1926, 102.24944)
- St John Fort (GPS: 2.18932, 102.26446)
- St Paul's Church (GPS: 2.19264, 102.24966)
- St Paul's Hill (GPS: 2.19252, 102.24932)
- St Peter's Church (GPS: 2.20273, 102.25302)
- Taman Mini Malaysia (GPS: 2.28245, 102.30383)
- Tan Beng Swee Clock Tower (GPS: 2.19439, 102.24907)
- Tanjung Tuan Lighthouse (GPS: 2.40747, 101.85233)
- Tan Kim Seng Bridge (GPS: 2.19458, 102.24852)
- Tranquerah Mosque (GPS: 2.20239, 102.23736)
- Tun Tan Cheng Lock's Ancestral Home (GPS: 2.1961, 102.24537)
- Victoria Fountain (GPS: 2.19435, 102.24906)
- Villa Sentosa (GPS: 2.20251, 102.25144)
- Zoo Melaka (GPS: 2.27653, 102.2989)
Selected Hotels in Malacca
Streets in Malacca
The following streets in Malacca have been documented on Malacca Travel Tips, with more being added over time.
Map of Towns in Malacca
Category of sights in Malacca
List of the towns in Malacca
Devotees carry milk during the Dato Chachar Festival on a procession through the streets of Malacca
(3 May, 2009)
The interior of Baba House
(10 July, 2005)
Jalan Laksamana, Melaka, in the morning (3 May, 2009)
Malacca on Google Maps Street View
A selection of articles to help you get to know Malacca better.
The historic city of Malacca is also the capital of the state of Malacca. With an area of 1,652 square kilometers, Malacca State is one of the smaller states in Malaysia. It has a population of about 600,000.
History practically lives in Malacca. As you explore its streets, you will discover the oldest mosque, the oldest temples and forts in the country. Many of the heritage sites in Malacca have been well preserved, although many have been given an overzealously make-over.
Cultural dance at Taman Mini Malaysia (15 November, 2009)
Getting into Malacca Town
Visitors to Malacca usually come by road. The city centre is located approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours from Kuala Lumpur depending on traffic. Although Malacca does have an airport, but it does not handle any regular scheduled flights. If you are self-driving, use the North South Expressway (E2), and exit at the Ayer Keroh Interchange (Exit 231). From there, take the Ayer Keroh Highway - you don't really need to know the highway by name, just look for signage for Melaka - and it will take you right down to Malacca Town.
I list here the distance and expected toll on the North-South Expressway to Malacca, as of April 2009. It is 80 km from Seremban (toll RM9.30), 146 km from Kuala Lumpur (RM20.60, from Damansara), 349 km from Ipoh (RM46.10 from Ipoh Selatan), 513 km from Penang (RM62.90, from Juru), 606 km from Alor Setar (RM74.30 from Alor Setar Selatan) and 651 km from Kangar (RM77.50 from Jitra). If you are coming from the south, Malacca is 224 km from Johor Bahru (RM27.70 from the Causeway, RM39.90 from Tanjung Kupang
). The time taken to reach Malacca is approximately 2 hours from Kuala Lumpur, and 2.5 hours from Johor Bahru.
Street in Malacca
(9 July, 2005)
Getting Around Malacca
The old city of Malacca is small enough that it is possible to cover most of the sights on foot. For the fun of it, you may also want to try taking the Malacca trishaw for a joy ride. Remember to negotiate the fare in advance of boarding.
A display of offerings at the Chitty Museum (10 July, 2005)
Add your business/shop to my site
How would you like to have your business or shop added to this website, so that would-be customers can easily find you? This website provides place information of the whole world, with special emphasis on Malaysia and Singapore.
If you has a shop or business anywhere in Malaysia or Singapore, with a physical location, you may have your shop listed on one of the pages of this site. For example, a shop in Cheras will be placed on the Cheras page, another in Kota Bharu is listed in the Kota Bharu page, and so on. You only need to pay a one-time fee, and your shop will be listed for you for as long as this site is still running. There are different placement plans available. To find out more, CONTACT ME
If you're travelling somewhere, look for accommodation using the Search Hotel engine below. It helps you find the online booking site that offers the best rates for the room you want.
Going somewhere by express bus in Malaysia/Singapore?
Book your bus ticket online right here.
It is easy, safe and fast!.
Book your hotel room here
If you're traveling somewhere soon, book your hotel room online with Agoda. Agoda offers the best prices on 2,000,000+ properties worldwide. Click here
to find the room you want.
Looking for a book? Get it from Book Depository with free delivery worldwide!
I have just discovered Book Depository
, a subsidiary of Amazon.com, and I love it. This is where you can buy books and have them sent to you. But unlike Amazon, when you purchase using Book Depository, you enjoy free delivery worldwide. Give it a try today!
Hire a car
| Our Recipes
| Facebook Posts
| Just Curious
| Not In The Dictionary
| Our Flowering Garden
My YouTube Videos
Check out my YouTube Channel
and don't forget to subscribe!
About Timothy Tye
Welcome to my website, Discover with Timothy Tye
. I started it in 2003 to freely share information about places. Today it has close to thirty thousand pages. I have been writing this website full time since 1 November 2007, and continue to do so as a means to satisfy my curiosity about the world around me. I am happy if the information I have assembled is useful to you. Please follow me on Facebook
As a Christian, I hope that through this website, I am able to deliver God's Good News
to those who need it all over the world. If you wish to contact me, please submit the contact form
. Thanks again, don't forget to follow me on Facebook
Malaysia Travel Tips!
My Malaysia Travel Tips
has useful information on every state in Malaysia (Johor
, Negeri Sembilan
) and every major city and destination (Kuala Lumpur
, Johor Bahru
, Cameron Highlands
, Kota Kinabalu
, Alor Setar
, Petaling Jaya
, Kota Bharu
, Kuala Terengganu
) and hundreds of smaller towns.
Singapore Travel Tips!
In addition to covering Malaysia, I have created the travel tips for Singapore. Please visit my Singapore Travel Tips
for browse through the pages there.
This website is hosted on Bluehost
, one of the biggest web hosting companies in the world.
Copyright © 2003-2018 Timothy Tye
. All Rights Reserved.