(29 December, 2006)
Jalan Hang Jebat
, formerly known as Jonker Street during the British and Jonkerstraat during the Dutch period, was the name street through Malacca Town
, in what is today the core zone of the Malacca Unesco World Heritage Site. One assertion says that jonker is said to mean "junk", referring to the Chinese vessals. However, it may be more true that Jonker is derived from the Dutch word for servant, as opposed to Heeren meaning masters. Hence, Jonker Street was created as a working class neighbourhood while Heeren Street was the reserve of the upper class.
Jalan Hang Jebat was where the different Chinese clans had their clan associations. Among them, the Hokkiens established theirs in 1837, along with the clan associations of the Tan, Lee, and other clans. Most of the shophouses along Jalan Hang Jebat date to the early part of the 20th century, although some goes back to the 19th century.
Every Friday and Saturday night, Jalan Hang Jebat is turned into a pedestrianized zone for the Jonker Walk Night Market
. The night market is a mixed blessing for the locals. On the one hand, it brings in activity to the area, on the other, it brought much disruption to the lives of the residents.
Location of sights along Jalan Hang Jebat on the map
Sights along Jalan Hang Jebat
- Eng Choon Association Funeral Parlour (GPS: 2.1954, 102.24776)
- Hang Kasturi Mausoleum (GPS: 2.1972, 102.24613)
- Hokkien Huay Kuan (GPS: 2.19586, 102.24736)
- Jinxing Shang Ren Memorial Library (GPS: 2.19698, 102.24638)
- Jonker Walk Stage (GPS: 2.19782, 102.24548)
- Kwan Im Temple (GPS: 2.19787, 102.24521)
- Melaka Hainan Association (GPS: 2.19753, 102.24553)
- Melaka Saw Clan Association (GPS: 2.1963, 102.24713)
- Taman Warisan Dunia Jonker Walk (GPS: 2.19683, 102.24662)
- Teo Chew Hui Kuan (GPS: 2.19728, 102.24586)
- Thean Teik Keong Temple (GPS: 2.19717, 102.24616)
Eateries along Jalan Hang Jebat
Businesses along Jalan Hang Jebat
The Jonker Walk Night Market at Jalan Hang Jebat
- Abdul Antiques (GPS: 2.19566, 102.24782)
- Amore Bakery pastry shop (GPS: 2.1974, 102.24597)
- Ancient Curio Store (GPS: 2.19648, 102.24695)
- Beyond Treasures (GPS: 2.19634, 102.24679)
- Gold Moon Coins & Curios Trading (GPS: 2.19672, 102.2464)
- Huo Long Foot Reflexology (GPS: 2.19655, 102.24687)
- Kedai Antik Lagenda antique shop (GPS: 2.1962, 102.24723)
- Kong Tailor antique shop (GPS: 2.19662, 102.24679)
- Malacca Antiques & Curios antique shop (GPS: 2.19589, 102.24733)
- Malacca Art Store antique shop (GPS: 2.19702, 102.24634)
- Mei Zhong Yuan Confectionery pastry shop (GPS: 2.19763, 102.24543)
- Ming Style Antique antique shop (GPS: 2.19653, 102.24661)
- Old Street Dumpling antique shop (GPS: 2.19707, 102.24626)
- Oriental Collections antique shop (GPS: 2.196, 102.24744)
- Poh Keon Enterprise biscuit shop (GPS: 2.19623, 102.24693)
- Putuo Traditional Medical Therapy Centre biscuit shop (GPS: 2.19746, 102.24591)
- San Shu Gong (GPS: 2.1951, 102.24836)
(1 May, 2009)
From Dutch Square
, cross Tan Kim Seng Bridge
and then continue walking straight on to enter Jalan Hang Jebat.
Where to stay when in Malacca
As a custom, I suggest only hotels that I have personally stayed before and have experienced its hospitality. In Malacca, that would be The Majestic Malacca
Add your business/shop to my site
How would you like to have your business or shop added to this website, so that would-be customers can easily find you? This website provides place information of the whole world, with special emphasis on Malaysia and Singapore.
If you has a shop or business anywhere in Malaysia or Singapore, with a physical location, you may have your shop listed on one of the pages of this site. For example, a shop in Cheras will be placed on the Cheras page, another in Kota Bharu is listed in the Kota Bharu page, and so on. You only need to pay a one-time fee, and your shop will be listed for you for as long as this site is still running. There are different placement plans available. To find out more, CONTACT ME
If you're travelling somewhere, look for accommodation using the Search Hotel engine below. It helps you find the online booking site that offers the best rates for the room you want.
Going somewhere by express bus in Malaysia/Singapore?
Book your bus ticket online right here.
It is easy, safe and fast!.
Book your hotel room here
If you're traveling somewhere soon, book your hotel room online with Agoda. Agoda offers the best prices on 2,000,000+ properties worldwide. Click here
to find the room you want.
Looking for a book? Get it from Book Depository with free delivery worldwide!
I have just discovered Book Depository
, a subsidiary of Amazon.com, and I love it. This is where you can buy books and have them sent to you. But unlike Amazon, when you purchase using Book Depository, you enjoy free delivery worldwide. Give it a try today!
Hire a car
| Our Recipes
| Facebook Posts
| Just Curious
| Not In The Dictionary
| Our Flowering Garden
My YouTube Videos
Check out my YouTube Channel
and don't forget to subscribe!
About Timothy Tye
Welcome to my website, Discover with Timothy Tye
. I started it in 2003 to freely share information about places. Today it has close to thirty thousand pages. I have been writing this website full time since 1 November 2007, and continue to do so as a means to satisfy my curiosity about the world around me. I am happy if the information I have assembled is useful to you. Please follow me on Facebook
As a Christian, I hope that through this website, I am able to deliver God's Good News
to those who need it all over the world. If you wish to contact me, please submit the contact form
. Thanks again, don't forget to follow me on Facebook
Malaysia Travel Tips!
My Malaysia Travel Tips
has useful information on every state in Malaysia (Johor
, Negeri Sembilan
) and every major city and destination (Kuala Lumpur
, Johor Bahru
, Cameron Highlands
, Kota Kinabalu
, Alor Setar
, Petaling Jaya
, Kota Bharu
, Kuala Terengganu
) and hundreds of smaller towns.
Singapore Travel Tips!
In addition to covering Malaysia, I have created the travel tips for Singapore. Please visit my Singapore Travel Tips
for browse through the pages there.
This website is hosted on Bluehost
, one of the biggest web hosting companies in the world.
Copyright © 2003-2019 Timothy Tye
. All Rights Reserved.