(GPS: 5.980057, 116.073611), (British: Jesselton; Traditional Chinese: 亞庇; Simplified Chinese: 亚庇; Pinyin: Yàbì), the state capital of
in East Malaysia. Formerly known as Jesselton, it is also the capital of the West Coast Division of Sabah. The city has a population of 579,304, while the larger urban area has an estimated population of 700,000. It is the largest urban centre in Sabah and the sixth largest in Malaysia.
Kota Kinabalu is located on the northwest coast of Borneo facing the South China Sea. The
- 1Borneo Hypermall (GPS: 6.036, 116.12906)
- All Saints' Cathedral (GPS: 5.97289, 116.07227)
- Api-Api Centre (GPS: 5.97548, 116.06906)
- Atkinson Clock Tower (GPS: 5.9819, 116.07745)
- Basel Christian Church of Malaysia, Kota Kinabalu (GPS: 5.97746, 116.09518)
- Basel Christian Church of Malaysia, Penampang (GPS: 5.94535, 116.08502)
- Cap Kuda Coffee Company (GPS: 5.97892, 116.11691)
- Chapel of the Holy Light (GPS: 5.99066, 116.10777)
- Christ Church, Likas (GPS: 5.99079, 116.10376)
- Church of the Good Samaritan (GPS: 5.9397, 116.0737)
- Dalit Bay Golf & Country Club (GPS: 6.15636, 116.15179)
- Double Six Memorial Park (GPS: 5.96221, 116.0618)
- Filipino Market (GPS: 5.98169, 116.07207)
- Gaya Street Sunday Market (GPS: 5.98306, 116.07663)
- Jesselton Poing (GPS: 5.99007, 116.0798)
- Kinabalu Golf Club (GPS: 5.95025, 116.04491)
- Kipandi Butterfly Park (GPS: 5.8713, 116.25028)
- KK Esplanade (GPS: 5.98446, 116.07391)
- KK Times Square (GPS: 5.9705, 116.06607)
- (GPS: 5.98883, 116.08944)
- Kota Kinabalu City Mosque (GPS: 5.99571, 116.10771)
- Lingzhi Museum (GPS: 5.92123, 116.06914)
- Lok Kawi Wildlife Park (GPS: 5.8516, 116.07066)
- Mari Mari Cultural Village (GPS: 5.9739, 116.20375)
- (GPS: 6.11312, 116.10743)
- Orchid De Villa (GPS: 5.95884, 116.14357)
- Our Lady of Peace Catholic Church (GPS: 5.93675, 116.07956)
- Petagas War Memorial (GPS: 5.92111, 116.05439)
- (GPS: 5.99304, 116.11682)
- Pulau Gaya (GPS: 6.01799, 116.02984)
- Sabah Golf & Country Club (GPS: 5.95692, 116.10196)
- Sabah Islamic Civilisation Museum (GPS: 5.96336, 116.07396)
- Sabah Museum (GPS: .96061, 116.07146)
- Sabah State Mosque (GPS: 5.95996, 116.06715)
- Sabah Trade Centre (GPS: 5.99127, 116.0918)
- Sacred Heart Cathedral (GPS: 5.96425, 116.07297)
- Shern En Methodist Church (GPS: 5.9773, 116.08309)
- Signal Hill (GPS: 5.98581, 116.0797)
- St Michael Church, Penampang (GPS: 5.90762, 116.10967)
- Stella Maris Catholic Church (GPS: 5.95584, 116.05192)
- Sutera Harbour (GPS: 5.96498, 116.06178)
- Sutera Harbour Golf & Country Club (GPS: 5.96759, 116.05969)
- Tun Mustapha Tower (GPS: 6.01722, 116.10944)
- UMS Aquarium and Marine Museum (GPS: 6.03992, 116.11277)
- UMS Mosque (GPS: 6.03814, 116.12517)
- Water World Theme Park (GPS: 5.94974, 116.10776)
Categories of sights in Kota Kinabalu
Nearby Tourist Attractions
Places within Kota Kinabalu
Streets in Kota Kinabalu
Railway Lines in Kota Kinabalu
Universities in Kota Kinabalu
Kota Kinabalu skylinehttps://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Panoramic_views_of_Kota_Kinabalu#mediaviewer/File:KKCity5.jpg
Neighbouring Towns to Kota Kinabalu
Islands off the coast of Kota Kinabalu
Cinemas in Kota Kinabalu
- Golden Screen Cinema, www.gsc.com.my, 63 Jalan Laiman Diki
- Mega Pavilion, www.megapavilion.net, Jalan Tunku Abdul Rahman
Jalan Tun Fuad Stephens, Kota Kinabaluhttps://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Jalan_Tun_Fuad_Stephens,_Kota_Kinabalu#mediaviewer/File:Coconut_trees_Kota_Kinabalu.JPG
Swordfish Monument, Kota Kinabaluhttps://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Kota_Kinabalu_City_Centre_0001.jpg
Sembulan, a predominantly Bajau neighbourhood in Kota Kinabaluhttps://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Panoramic_views_of_Kota_Kinabalu#mediaviewer/File:KotaKinabalu_Sabah_Sembulan-03.jpg
1 Borneo Hypermall, Kota Kinabaluhttps://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:1Borneo_Hypermall#mediaviewer/File:Kota_Kinabalu_1Borneo_4600.jpg
Sacred Heart Catholic Cathedral, Kota Kinabaluhttps://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:KotaKinabalu_Sabah_SacredHeartCathedral-05.jpg
© CEphoto, Uwe Aranas
Geography of Kota Kinabalu
Kota Kinabalu is on the west coast of Sabah. It lies on a narrow strip of land sandwiched between the Crocker Range and the South China Sea. Five of the islands off the coast of Kota Kinabalu, and within sight of the city, have been designated the Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park. As Kota Kinabalu is located directly within the flight path of planes approaching the Kota Kinabalu International Airport, there is a strict limit to the height of buildings in the city.
Kota Kinabalu is the gateway into Sabah as well as to the island of Borneo. It has the second largest international airport in the country. Being the industrial and commercial centre of East Malaysia, Kota Kinabalu is one of the fastest growing cities in Malaysia. The city is located about 90 km from Mount Kinabalu, the tallest mountain in Borneo. Kota Kinabalu was formerly known as Jesselton, but besides Jesselton, there are also other names that are claimed to be the original name of Kota Kinabalu. The most popular is Api-Api, or sometimes simply Api, which means "fire" in Malay.
Aerial view of Kota Kinabaluhttps://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:KKCity2.jpg
Kota Kinabalu International Airporthttps://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Kota_Kinabalu_International_Airport#mediaviewer/File:Kota_Kinabalu_International_Airport_Terminal1_02.jpg
Arriving in Kota Kinabalu
Kota Kinabalu International Airport
(BKI) is just about 7 km from the city. From the airport, you can take an airport shuttle, mini van or taxi. To take a taxi, buy the coupon at the taxi stand on the ground floor. The fare is fixed at RM20.00.
The city of Kota Kinabalu is small enough for you to walk. For farther away places, I would suggest that you either rent a car at the airport, or take a taxi. For both options, be sure you bargain for the best price. Taxis do not use meter, and the drivers will quote a high price expecting you to haggle it down.
What to see and do in Kota Kinabalu
- Cultural Tour Visit the Monsopiad Cultural Village and Mari Mari Cultural Village. Contact Traverse Tours, tel: 088 260501, www.traversetours.com
- Diving: The possibilities are endless in Sabah. Contact Borneo Divers, tel 088 222226, www.borneodivers.info, Borneo Sea Adventures, tel: 088 230000, www.borneosea.com, Tanjung Aru Tours, tel: 088 222210, www.tanjungarutourstravel.net
- Motorbiking Join motorbiking tours of the Crocker Range and other places. Contact Borneo Biking Adventures, tel: 013 552 7313, www.borneobikingadventures.com
Whitewater Rafing Available at Sungai Padas and Sungai Kiulu Contact Traverse Tours, tel: 088 260501, www.traversetours.com
- Wildlife You can go to see orang utans, proboscis monkeys, and other wildlife in the sanctuary, or explore the rainforest. Contact Borneo Wildlife Adventure, tel: 088 213668, www.borneo-wildlife.com or Wildlife Expeditions, tel: 088 246000, www.wildlife-expeditions.com
Kota Kinabalu is on the map of Towns in Sabah
Add your business/shop to my site
How would you like to have your business or shop added to this website, so that would-be customers can easily find you? This website provides place information of the whole world, with special emphasis on Malaysia and Singapore.
If you has a shop or business anywhere in Malaysia or Singapore, with a physical location, you may have your shop listed on one of the pages of this site. For example, a shop in Cheras will be placed on the Cheras page, another in Kota Bharu is listed in the Kota Bharu page, and so on. You only need to pay a one-time fee, and your shop will be listed for you for as long as this site is still running. There are different placement plans available. To find out more, CONTACT ME
If you're travelling somewhere, look for accommodation using the Search Hotel engine below. It helps you find the online booking site that offers the best rates for the room you want.
Going somewhere by express bus in Malaysia/Singapore?
Book your bus ticket online right here.
It is easy, safe and fast!.
Book your hotel room here
If you're traveling somewhere soon, book your hotel room online with Agoda. Agoda offers the best prices on 2,000,000+ properties worldwide. Click here
to find the room you want.
Looking for a book? Get it from Book Depository with free delivery worldwide!
I have just discovered Book Depository
, a subsidiary of Amazon.com, and I love it. This is where you can buy books and have them sent to you. But unlike Amazon, when you purchase using Book Depository, you enjoy free delivery worldwide. Give it a try today!
Hire a car
| Our Recipes
| Facebook Posts
| Just Curious
| Not In The Dictionary
| Our Flowering Garden
My YouTube Videos
Check out my YouTube Channel
and don't forget to subscribe!
About Timothy Tye
Welcome to my website, Discover with Timothy Tye
. I started it in 2003 to freely share information about places. Today it has close to thirty thousand pages. I have been writing this website full time since 1 November 2007, and continue to do so as a means to satisfy my curiosity about the world around me. I am happy if the information I have assembled is useful to you. Please follow me on Facebook
As a Christian, I hope that through this website, I am able to deliver God's Good News
to those who need it all over the world. If you wish to contact me, please submit the contact form
. Thanks again, don't forget to follow me on Facebook
Malaysia Travel Tips!
My Malaysia Travel Tips
has useful information on every state in Malaysia (Johor
, Negeri Sembilan
) and every major city and destination (Kuala Lumpur
, Johor Bahru
, Cameron Highlands
, Kota Kinabalu
, Alor Setar
, Petaling Jaya
, Kota Bharu
, Kuala Terengganu
) and hundreds of smaller towns.
Singapore Travel Tips!
In addition to covering Malaysia, I have created the travel tips for Singapore. Please visit my Singapore Travel Tips
for browse through the pages there.
This website is hosted on Bluehost
, one of the biggest web hosting companies in the world.
Copyright © 2003-2018 Timothy Tye
. All Rights Reserved.