(GPS: 4.39949, 113.99138) is the second largest city in Sarawak after Kuching. It is located in the Miri District, which covers an area of 4704 sq km within the Miri Division
. The main part of the city is located on a tongue of land wrapped around by the Miri River. With a population of 300,000, Miri is the 9th town in Malaysia to be given city status on 20 May, 2005. The Pan Borneo Highway
passes through Miri, connecting it with other major towns of Sarawak as well as with Brunei and Sabah.
Location of Sights in Miri on the map
Hotels in Miri
- Miri Marriott Resort & Spa (GPS: 4.37458, 113.97178)
- Imperial Palace Hotel (GPS: 4.40471, 114.00042)
- Mega Hotel Miri (GPS: 4.39684, 113.98813)
- Meritz Hotel Miri (GPS: 4.3972, 113.99332)
- ParkCity Everly Hotel Miri (GPS: 4.37826, 113.97553)
- Grand Palace Hotel (GPS: 4.40561, 114.00242)
- Ajang Hotel (GPS: 4.39755, 113.9857)
Places of Interest in Miri
- Airport Road Outcrop (GPS: 4.3644, 113.97914)
- Bulatan Park (GPS: 4.39093, 113.99706)
- Canada Hill (GPS: 4.39093, 113.99706)
- Che Sing Khor Moral Uplifting Society (GPS: 4.42135, 114.00257)
- Hai Long Si Temple (GPS: 4.42135, 114.00257)
- Luak Esplanade (GPS: 4.31763, 113.96182)
- Miri Airport (GPS: 4.32674, 113.98332)
- Miri Buddhist Society (GPS: 4.39765, 113.98778)
- Miri Crocodile Farm (GPS: 4.57109, 113.97685)
- Miri Fish Market (GPS: 4.39187, 113.98544)
- Miri Handicraft Centre (GPS: 4.57109, 113.97685)
- Miri Indoor Stadium (GPS: 4.40549, 113.99498)
- Miri Mosque (GPS: 4.39765, 113.98778)
- Petroleum Museum and Grand Old Lady (GPS: 4.38923, 113.99491)
- City Fan Recreation Park (GPS: 4.40298, 113.99349)
- San Ching Tian Temple (GPS: 4.42309, 114.00312)
- Sea Horse Statue (GPS: 4.38331, 113.96871)
- Seventh Day Adventist Church Miri (GPS: 4.42135, 114.00257)
- Stadium Miri (GPS: 4.40446, 113.99578)
- Taman Awam Miri (GPS: 4.36734, 113.97939)
- Tamu Muhibbah (GPS: 4.38863, 113.98682)
- Tua Pek Kong Temple (GPS: 4.39168, 113.98535)
Beaches in Miri
Shopping in Miri
Other Places in Miri
- Miri Port (GPS: 4.56259, 114.04162) (not open to public)
Categories of sights in Miri
Miri is where Malaysia's petroleum industry began in 1910, when the first oil well was drilled there by Shell. That oil well is today a state monument and a local attraction. The first oil refinery in Malaysia, also built by Shell, was located in Lutong, near Miri, in 1914. Today, with the growth of Miri, Lutong is absorbed as a suburb.
Miri aerial view, Sarawakhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Miricity01.jpg
Apart from petroleum, the city is also a centre for timber, oil palm and tourism. Miri is the gateway to Gunung Mulu National Park
, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. There are also other national parks nearby, including Loagan Bunut National Park
, Lambir Hills National Park
and Niah National Park
. The sea off Miri has also been recently discovered for its coral reefs. The seahorse has been selected as the mascot of Miri, and sculptures of seahorse can be seen in various parts of the city.
Miri was granted city status in 2005, making it the first non-capital town in Malaysia to become a city. This forward looking town has always had its sight globally, as reflected in the choice of names for many of its local sights and attractions.
The new terminal of Miri Airport opened in 2005, putting Miri on the map as the hub for central Borneo. The airport is served by regular flights by Malaysia Airlines and AirAsia linking it to Kuching, Kota Kinabalu, Kuala Lumpur and Johor Bahru. In addition, MASWings provide connections with rural destinations including Gunung Mulu National Park, Bario
Top Attractions Near Miri
What to do in Miri
The following are some of the activities available in Miri. Check with a local tour operator.
- Caving: Miri is the gateway to Gunung Mulu National Park, home to Mulu Caves
- Hiking: Also within Gunung Mulu National Park is the Pinnacles
- Diving: There is a Japanese World War II shipwreck called Atago Maru located off the long jetty south of the city. Another dive spot is the Kenyalang artificial reef created in 2004.
- Whitewater Rafting: This is available on the upper Baram River.
- Mountain Biking: The Miri Mountain Bike Club (Tel: 085 423589) organises regular biking trips
Miri on Google Street View
Hai Long Si Temple Miri
Miri City Fan Recreation Park
Add your business/shop to my site
How would you like to have your business or shop added to this website, so that would-be customers can easily find you? This website provides place information of the whole world, with special emphasis on Malaysia and Singapore.
If you has a shop or business anywhere in Malaysia or Singapore, with a physical location, you may have your shop listed on one of the pages of this site. For example, a shop in Cheras will be placed on the Cheras page, another in Kota Bharu is listed in the Kota Bharu page, and so on. You only need to pay a one-time fee, and your shop will be listed for you for as long as this site is still running. There are different placement plans available. To find out more, CONTACT ME
If you're travelling somewhere, look for accommodation using the Search Hotel engine below. It helps you find the online booking site that offers the best rates for the room you want.
Going somewhere by express bus in Malaysia/Singapore?
Book your bus ticket online right here.
It is easy, safe and fast!.
Book your hotel room here
If you're traveling somewhere soon, book your hotel room online with Agoda. Agoda offers the best prices on 2,000,000+ properties worldwide. Click here
to find the room you want.
Looking for a book? Get it from Book Depository with free delivery worldwide!
I have just discovered Book Depository
, a subsidiary of Amazon.com, and I love it. This is where you can buy books and have them sent to you. But unlike Amazon, when you purchase using Book Depository, you enjoy free delivery worldwide. Give it a try today!
Hire a car
| Our Recipes
| Facebook Posts
| Just Curious
| Not In The Dictionary
| Our Flowering Garden
My YouTube Videos
Check out my YouTube Channel
and don't forget to subscribe!
About Timothy Tye
Welcome to my website, Discover with Timothy Tye
. I started it in 2003 to freely share information about places. Today it has close to thirty thousand pages. I have been writing this website full time since 1 November 2007, and continue to do so as a means to satisfy my curiosity about the world around me. I am happy if the information I have assembled is useful to you. Please follow me on Facebook
As a Christian, I hope that through this website, I am able to deliver God's Good News
to those who need it all over the world. If you wish to contact me, please submit the contact form
. Thanks again, don't forget to follow me on Facebook
Malaysia Travel Tips!
My Malaysia Travel Tips
has useful information on every state in Malaysia (Johor
, Negeri Sembilan
) and every major city and destination (Kuala Lumpur
, Johor Bahru
, Cameron Highlands
, Kota Kinabalu
, Alor Setar
, Petaling Jaya
, Kota Bharu
, Kuala Terengganu
) and hundreds of smaller towns.
Singapore Travel Tips!
In addition to covering Malaysia, I have created the travel tips for Singapore. Please visit my Singapore Travel Tips
for browse through the pages there.
This website is hosted on Bluehost
, one of the biggest web hosting companies in the world.
Copyright © 2003-2019 Timothy Tye
. All Rights Reserved.