Shah Alam Travel Tips
(13 July, 2016)
is my personal travel guide for people to discover Shah Alam
, (GPS: 3.07328, 101.51846), the state capital of Selangor. Shah Alam is a moderate-size city with a population of about half a million people. It is located straddling the districts of Petaling and Klang. The city is administered by the Shah Alam City Council (Majlis Bandaraya Shah Alam, MBSA), which looks after waste removal, town planning and building control, among others.
Location of sights in Shah Alam on the map
List of sights in Shah Alam
Categories of sights in Shah Alam
Taman Tasik Shah Alam
(29 December, 2006)
Night view of Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah Mosque in Shah Alamhttps://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Sultan_Salahuddin_Abdul_Aziz_Mosque#/media/File:Shah_Alam_Blue_mosque_at_night.jpg
Ezry Abdul Rahman
About Shah Alam
Shah Alam is the first planned city in Malaysia after independence. It was established in 1978 to be the capital of Selangor, replacing Kuala Lumpur which was incorporated into the Federal Territory in 1974. The site of Shah Alam was formerly rubber and oil palm plantations known as Sungai Renggam. It was named by the then Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah after his late father Sultan Alam Shah. Shah Alam was granted city status on 10 October, 2000.
What's there to see or do in Shah Alam
Being quite a young city, Shah Alam has mostly man-made sights such as public buildings, mosques, and parks.
How to reach Shah Alam
Shah Alam is about 20 kilometers to the west of Kuala Lumpur on the Federal Highway. RapidKL has several buses between Kuala Lumpur and Shah Alam include U80 (Pasar Seni to UiTM Shah Alam) and U81 (Pasar Seni to Subang Suria).
Getting Around Shah Alam
It is best to drive in Shah Alam, as the place is quite sprawling. The main road, on which most of the sights are located, is Persiaran Sultan, accessed through Exit 401 (Darul Ehsan Interchange) on the Federal Highway.
Places of Interest in Shah Alam
- Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Mosque: The largest mosque in Malaysia and one of the largest in Southeast Asia.
- Shah Alam Lake Gardens: Public park built around a man-made lake.
- Dataran Bunga: Hibiscus park within the Shah Alam Lake Gardens.
- Dataran Kemerdekaan: Public square built in conjunction with the 43rd Merdeka celebrations held in Shah Alam in 2000.
- Dataran Shah Alam: Public square next to Wisma MBSA along Persiaran Sultan.
- Galeri Shah Alam: Art gallery at Persiaran Tasik exhibiting works by local and foreign artists.
- Kompleks Taman Seni Islam: A centre for enhancing the appreciation of Islamic art.
- Laman Budaya: Site where cultural events and performances are held.
- Shah Alam Go-Cart Circuit: Go-cart circuit located within the grounds of the Shah Alam Stadium in Section 13.
- Perpustakaan Raja Tun Uda: Main public library of Selangor.
- Darul Ehsan Aquatic Centre: Centre with Olympic-size swimming pool.
- Muzium Sultan Alam Shah: The biggest museum in Selangor
- Stadium Malawati: Indoor stadium accommodating 13,000 spectators.
- Section 28 Recreational Park: 4-hectare park which won the first prize in the 2002 National Level Landscape competition.
- Shah Alam Extreme Sports Park: Public recreational park for skateboarding, wall climbing, paint ball and the like, in Section 13 Shah Alam.
- Shah Alam Wetland Park: Public park with recreational facilities at Kota Kemuning, Section 31.
- Wet World Theme Park: Recreational theme park in Shah Alam.
- Shah Alam Stadium: The biggest stadium in Southeast Asia with a capacity of 80,000 spectators.
- Bukit SUK Recreational Forest: Public recreational forest in Section 5 Shah Alam.
- Kompleks PKNS: Exhibition and shopping venue within the Selangor State Development Authority building.
- Bukit Cahaya Seri Alam Agricultural Park: Located within the Bukit Cerakah Forest Reserve, on the northern part of Shah Alam, this is Malaysia's first agriculture park opened in 1986.
- High 5 Bread Town: The first bread museum in Malaysia, located at Section 21 of Shah Alam.
Add your business to my website
This website of mine is a unique directory of places and businesses. If you operate a business anywhere in Malaysia or Singapore, you may contact me to add your business/shop in. It only requires a one-time fee, and you may opt for either "contact listing only" or "full webpage of your own". As this website gets a lot of organic traffic, you will enjoy lots of exposure from people looking for the products and services that you provide. To find out more about adding your business/shop to this site, CONTACT ME
If you're travelling somewhere, look for accommodation using the Search Hotel engine below. It helps you find the online booking site that offers the best rates for the room you want.
Book your hotel room here
If you're traveling somewhere soon, book your hotel room online with Agoda. Agoda offers the best prices on 2,000,000+ properties worldwide. Click here
to find the room you want.
Looking for a book? Get it from Book Depository with free delivery worldwide!
I have just discovered Book Depository
, a subsidiary of Amazon.com, and I love it. This is where you can buy books and have them sent to you. But unlike Amazon, when you purchase using Book Depository, you enjoy free delivery worldwide. Give it a try today!
Book Your Express Bus Ticket
| Hire a car
| Our Recipes
| Facebook Posts
| Just Curious
| Not In The Dictionary
| Our Flowering Garden
My YouTube Videos
Check out my YouTube Channel
and don't forget to subscribe!
Discover the World
About Timothy Tye
Welcome to my website, Discover with Timothy Tye
. I started it in 2003 to freely share information about places. Today it has close to thirty thousand pages. I have been writing this website full time since 1 November 2007, and continue to do so as a means to satisfy my curiosity about the world around me. I am happy if the information I have assembled is useful to you. Please follow me on Facebook
As a Christian, I hope that through this website, I am able to deliver God's Good News
to those who need it all over the world. If you wish to contact me, please submit the contact form
. Thanks again, don't forget to follow me on Facebook
Malaysia Travel Tips!
My Malaysia Travel Tips
has useful information on every state in Malaysia (Johor
, Negeri Sembilan
) and every major city and destination (Kuala Lumpur
, Johor Bahru
, Cameron Highlands
, Kota Kinabalu
, Alor Setar
, Petaling Jaya
, Kota Bharu
, Kuala Terengganu
) and hundreds of smaller towns.
Singapore Travel Tips!
In addition to covering Malaysia, I have created the travel tips for Singapore. Please visit my Singapore Travel Tips
for browse through the pages there.
This website is hosted on Bluehost
, one of the biggest web hosting companies in the world.
Copyright © 2003-2018 Timothy Tye
. All Rights Reserved.