Beach Road, Singapore
(10 July, 2011)
is a major road in Singapore
. It is within the Kallang Planning Area and Downtown Core. It runs from northeast to southwest. It starts at Crawford Street
in the northeast and ends at Stamford Road
in the southwest.
Beach Road has appeared on the 1836 Map of Singapore drawn by imminent local architect George Coleman. At that time, it lives to its name of being a beach-side road. It was known as "Sio1 Pho1 Hai1 Kni2"
(written in Hokkien Taiji Romanisation
), meaning "Small Town Beach." The term "Sio1 Pho1"
meaning "Small Town" refers to the part of Singapore north of the Stamford Road
, while south of it was known as "Tua Poh" or "Big Town".
Another vernacular name for it was "Thik1 Pa1sat3 Khau4"
, meaning "Facing the Iron Market". This second name refers to the Clyde Terrace Market, a cast-iron market building that once stood where the Gateway Building is now located.
In Stamford Raffles' 1822 Town Plan, he put aside Beach Road for the residences of the Europeans. By 1825, there were 20 opulent European bungalows along the road, earning it yet another Hokkien nickname, "Jee33 Cap3 Keng1"
, meaning "Twenty Houses".
Beach Road on the map
Sights along Beach Road
- Block 1 Beach Road Gardens (GPS: 1.30348, 103.8645)
- Block 2 Beach Road Gardens (GPS: 1.30393, 103.86508)
- Block 3 Beach Road Gardens (GPS: 1.30421, 103.86541)
- Caltex Beach Road (GPS: 1.30421, 103.86541)
- Chye Sing Building (GPS: 1.29735, 103.8566)
- City Gate (GPS: 1.3023, 103.8624)
- Civilian War Memorial (GPS: 1.29287, 103.8547)
- Creative House (GPS: 1.3023, 103.8624)
- DUO Singapore (GPS: 1.30068, 103.8579)
- Golden Mile Complex (GPS: 1.30275, 103.86518)
- Golden Mile Food Centre (GPS: 1.30306, 103.86394)
- Golden Mile Tower (GPS: 1.30209, 103.86429)
- Great Eastern House (GPS: 1.29658, 103.856)
- JW Marriott Hotel Singapore South Beach (GPS: 1.29424, 103.856)
- Kampong Glam Community Centre (GPS: 1.30306, 103.86394)
- Masjid Hajjah Fatimah (GPS: 1.30282, 103.86291)
- Park View Hotel (GPS: 1.2972, 103.85645)
- Parkroyal On Beach Road (GPS: 1.2972, 103.85645)
- Raffles City (GPS: 1.29391, 103.85335)
- Raffles Hotel (GPS: 1.29517, 103.85469)
- Shaw Towers (GPS: 1.29668, 103.85683)
- South Beach (GPS: 1.29548, 103.85632)
- St John Singapore (GPS: 1.30172, 103.86315)
- The Concourse (GPS: 1.30097, 103.86245)
- The Gateway (GPS: 1.29854, 103.85924)
Things to eat along Beach Road
Beach Road, at Jalan Sultan junction.
(10 July, 2011)
Pedestrian bridge across Beach Road, Singapore
(26 July, 2017)
View along Beach Road in front of Golden Mile Complex.
(11 July, 2011)
Singapore Timber Association Building on Beach Road
(11 July, 2011)
Beach Road roadsign
(26 July, 2017)
Add your business/shop to my site
How would you like to have your business or shop added to this website, so that would-be customers can easily find you? This website provides place information of the whole world, with special emphasis on Malaysia and Singapore.
If you has a shop or business anywhere in Malaysia or Singapore, with a physical location, you may have your shop listed on one of the pages of this site. For example, a shop in Cheras will be placed on the Cheras page, another in Kota Bharu is listed in the Kota Bharu page, and so on. You only need to pay a one-time fee, and your shop will be listed for you for as long as this site is still running. There are different placement plans available. To find out more, CONTACT ME
Visiting Singapore? Get your hotel room here
Compare the room rates from different online booking sites to get the best rates for your trip.
If you're travelling somewhere, look for accommodation using the Search Hotel engine below. It helps you find the online booking site that offers the best rates for the room you want.
Going somewhere by express bus in Malaysia/Singapore?
Book your bus ticket online right here.
It is easy, safe and fast!.
Hire a car
| Our Recipes
| Facebook Posts
| Just Curious
| Not In The Dictionary
| Our Flowering Garden
My YouTube Videos
Check out my YouTube Channel
and don't forget to subscribe!
Planning Areas of Singapore
"Planning Areas" are the de facto districts of Singapore. This map shows you all the planning areas of the island nation. Click on them to get to know each area.
Explore Singapore made easy with MRT
This comprehensive map of the Singapore Mass Rapid Transit shows you every station in the network, so that you can easily plan your journeys and change trains accordingly. As with the bus and LRT, you are charged a fare according to the distance travelled.
About Timothy Tye
Welcome to my website, Discover with Timothy Tye
. I started it in 2003 to freely share information about places. Today it has close to thirty thousand pages. I have been writing this website full time since 1 November 2007, and continue to do so as a means to satisfy my curiosity about the world around me. I am happy if the information I have assembled is useful to you. Please follow me on Facebook
As a Christian, I hope that through this website, I am able to deliver God's Good News
to those who need it all over the world. If you wish to contact me, please submit the contact form
. Thanks again, don't forget to follow me on Facebook
Malaysia Travel Tips!
My Malaysia Travel Tips
has useful information on every state in Malaysia (Johor
, Negeri Sembilan
) and every major city and destination (Kuala Lumpur
, Johor Bahru
, Cameron Highlands
, Kota Kinabalu
, Alor Setar
, Petaling Jaya
, Kota Bharu
, Kuala Terengganu
) and hundreds of smaller towns.
This website is hosted on Bluehost
, one of the biggest web hosting companies in the world.
Copyright © 2003-2019 Timothy Tye
. All Rights Reserved.