(Traditional Chinese: 明古連街, Simplified Chinese: 明古连街, Pinyin: Mínggǔlián Jiē, Malay: Leboh Bengkulu) is one of the major roads in the Central region of Singapore. Almost arrow straight, it runs in a diagonal fashion from the northeast to the southwest, starting at the intersection with Rochor Road
/Rochor Canal Road
(from Jalan Besar
), and ending at the intersection with Stamford Road
(where it continues as Fort Canning Road).
Bencoolen Street was named after the city of Bencoolen, now called Bengkulu
, in Sumatra. This was where Stamford Raffles found himself unhappily sojourned in 1818, just before he established Singapore.
Bencoolen Street is intersected by Middle Road
and Orchard Road
. Among the sights along the way include Sim Lim Square
, Albert Complex, Burlington Square
, The Bencoolen
, Summerview, Hotel Ibis, Sunshine Plaza, Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts, Masjid Bencoolen, LKN-Prinsep House, Intellectural Property Office of Singapore, and the Singapore Management University.
Sights on Bencoolen Street
- Al-Jilani Restaurant (GPS: 1.3008, 103.85158)
- Albert Complex (GPS: 1.3024, 103.85379)
- Bayview Hotel (GPS: 1.29868, 103.85035)
- Bencoolen Hotel (GPS: 1.2989, 103.85005)
- Burlington Square (GPS: 1.30232, 103.85255)
- Fortune Centre (GPS: 1.30057, 103.85205)
- Hotel 81 (GPS: 1.29907, 103.85018)
- Hotel Strand (GPS: 1.29865, 103.84981)
- Ibis Hotel (GPS: 1.3013, 103.85267)
- Manulife Centre (GPS: 1.29788, 103.85018)
- Masjid Bencoolen (GPS: 1.29927, 103.85037)
- NAFA - Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts (GPS: 1.29998, 103.85167)
- NAFA Campus 2 (GPS: 1.29888, 103.8505)
- NAFA Campus 3 (GPS: 1.3014, 103.8519)
- Rendezvous Hotel (GPS: 1.29844, 103.84927)
- Ruixiang Restaurant (GPS: 1.3009, 103.85175)
- Sim Lim Square (GPS: 1.30307, 103.85297)
- Singapore Management University - School of Economics and Social Sciences (GPS: 1.29786, 103.84887)
- Singapore Management University - School of Information Systems (GPS: 1.29734, 103.84955)
- Summer View Hotel (GPS: 1.30168, 103.85223)
- Sunshine Plaza (GPS: 1.3004, 103.85097)
- The Bencoolen Condominium (GPS: 1.30187, 103.85321)
- V Hotel Bencoolen (GPS: 1.29903, 103.85064)
- Singapore Street Names by Victor R Savage and Brenda S.A. Yeoh (2004), ISBN 981-210-364-3
Add your business/shop to my site
How would you like to have your business or shop added to this website, so that would-be customers can easily find you? This website provides place information of the whole world, with special emphasis on Malaysia and Singapore.
If you has a shop or business anywhere in Malaysia or Singapore, with a physical location, you may have your shop listed on one of the pages of this site. For example, a shop in Cheras will be placed on the Cheras page, another in Kota Bharu is listed in the Kota Bharu page, and so on. You only need to pay a one-time fee, and your shop will be listed for you for as long as this site is still running. There are different placement plans available. To find out more, CONTACT ME
Visiting Singapore? Get your hotel room here
Compare the room rates from different online booking sites to get the best rates for your trip.
If you're travelling somewhere, look for accommodation using the Search Hotel engine below. It helps you find the online booking site that offers the best rates for the room you want.
Going somewhere by express bus in Malaysia/Singapore?
Book your bus ticket online right here.
It is easy, safe and fast!.
Hire a car
| Our Recipes
| Facebook Posts
| Just Curious
| Not In The Dictionary
| Our Flowering Garden
My YouTube Videos
Check out my YouTube Channel
and don't forget to subscribe!
Planning Areas of Singapore
"Planning Areas" are the de facto districts of Singapore. This map shows you all the planning areas of the island nation. Click on them to get to know each area.
Explore Singapore made easy with MRT
This comprehensive map of the Singapore Mass Rapid Transit shows you every station in the network, so that you can easily plan your journeys and change trains accordingly. As with the bus and LRT, you are charged a fare according to the distance travelled.
About Timothy Tye
Welcome to my website, Discover with Timothy Tye
. I started it in 2003 to freely share information about places. Today it has close to thirty thousand pages. I have been writing this website full time since 1 November 2007, and continue to do so as a means to satisfy my curiosity about the world around me. I am happy if the information I have assembled is useful to you. Please follow me on Facebook
As a Christian, I hope that through this website, I am able to deliver God's Good News
to those who need it all over the world. If you wish to contact me, please submit the contact form
. Thanks again, don't forget to follow me on Facebook
Malaysia Travel Tips!
My Malaysia Travel Tips
has useful information on every state in Malaysia (Johor
, Negeri Sembilan
) and every major city and destination (Kuala Lumpur
, Johor Bahru
, Cameron Highlands
, Kota Kinabalu
, Alor Setar
, Petaling Jaya
, Kota Bharu
, Kuala Terengganu
) and hundreds of smaller towns.
This website is hosted on Bluehost
, one of the biggest web hosting companies in the world.
Copyright © 2003-2019 Timothy Tye
. All Rights Reserved.