is a street in downtown Singapore
, within the Rochor and Museum Planning Areas. It runs from Rochor Road
in the north to Bras Basah Road
in the south. Waterloo Street is called Mang3ku1lu1 Chye1 Tng3 Kay1 in Hokkien, meaning "Bencoolen Vegetarian Hall Street", and Krishnan Kovil Sadakku in Tamil, meaning "Krishnan Temple Street".
Today the section of Waterloo Street north of Bencoolen Link, at the corner of the Sri Krishnan Temple, has been pedestrianized. This is to allow worshippers to the temple and the adjacent Kwan Im Temple unimpeded access to their places of worship.
Waterloo Street has been around since the early 1830's, when it was known as Church Street
. You might have supposed that it was named after the nearby Church of St Peter and St Paul, which was founded around that time, but no, it wasn't. Instead, it was named after a person named Church. Indeed, it was named in honor of Thomas Church, the Resident Councillor of Singapore in 1837.
The name Church did not stick, for in 1858, the Municipal Council of Singapore renamed the street to commemorate the Duke of Wellington's victory over the French in the Battle of Waterloo.
Apart from the two aforementioned places of worship, Waterloo Street is also the location of the Maghain Aboth Synagogue, the oldest surviving synagogue in Singapore.
Sights along Waterloo Street on the map
Sights along Waterloo Street
- Albert Centre (GPS: 1.30106, 103.85399)
- Albert Complex (GPS: 1.3023, 103.8539)
- Catholic Centre (GPS: 1.29852, 103.85156)
- Cheng Yan Centre (GPS: 1.30063, 103.85346)
- Church of St Peter & St Paul (GPS: 1.29801, 103.85133)
- Dance Ensemble Singapore (GPS: 1.29884, 103.85116)
- Fortune Centre (GPS: 1.30034, 103.8523)
- Fu Lu Shou Complex (GPS: 1.30144, 103.85447)
- GSM Building (GPS: 1.29942, 103.85244)
- Jacob Ballas Centre (GPS: 1.29811, 103.85053)
- Kwan Im Thong Hood Chor Temple (GPS: 1.30167, 103.85338)
- Maghain Aboth Synagogue (GPS: 1.29826, 103.85067)
- Manulife Centre (GPS: 1.29786, 103.8502)
- Min Yuan (GPS: 1.29906, 103.85133)
- Sculpture Square (GPS: 1.29977, 103.85212)
- Skyline Building (GPS: 1.3012, 103.8532)
- South East Asia Hotel (GPS: 1.301, 103.85313)
- Sri Krishnan Temple (GPS: 1.30052, 103.85263)
- Stamford Arts Centre (GPS: 1.30019, 103.85293)
- Singapore Arts Museum (GPS: 1.29736, 103.85102)
- Singapore Calligraphy Centre (GPS: 1.2986, 103.85106)
- Singapore Council of Women's Organisation (GPS: 1.29946, 103.85173)
- The Bencoolen (GPS: 1.30167, 103.85338)
- Waterloo Apartments (GPS: 1.29929, 103.85151)
- Waterloo Centre (GPS: 1.29897, 103.85206)
- Waterloo View Condo (GPS: 1.30069, 103.85275)
Add your business/shop to my site
How would you like to have your business or shop added to this website, so that would-be customers can easily find you? This website provides place information of the whole world, with special emphasis on Malaysia and Singapore.
If you has a shop or business anywhere in Malaysia or Singapore, with a physical location, you may have your shop listed on one of the pages of this site. For example, a shop in Cheras will be placed on the Cheras page, another in Kota Bharu is listed in the Kota Bharu page, and so on. You only need to pay a one-time fee, and your shop will be listed for you for as long as this site is still running. There are different placement plans available. To find out more, CONTACT ME
Visiting Singapore? Get your hotel room here
Compare the room rates from different online booking sites to get the best rates for your trip.
If you're travelling somewhere, look for accommodation using the Search Hotel engine below. It helps you find the online booking site that offers the best rates for the room you want.
Going somewhere by express bus in Malaysia/Singapore?
Book your bus ticket online right here.
It is easy, safe and fast!.
Hire a car
| Our Recipes
| Facebook Posts
| Just Curious
| Not In The Dictionary
| Our Flowering Garden
My YouTube Videos
Check out my YouTube Channel
and don't forget to subscribe!
Planning Areas of Singapore
"Planning Areas" are the de facto districts of Singapore. This map shows you all the planning areas of the island nation. Click on them to get to know each area.
Explore Singapore made easy with MRT
This comprehensive map of the Singapore Mass Rapid Transit shows you every station in the network, so that you can easily plan your journeys and change trains accordingly. As with the bus and LRT, you are charged a fare according to the distance travelled.
About Timothy Tye
Welcome to my website, Discover with Timothy Tye
. I started it in 2003 to freely share information about places. Today it has close to thirty thousand pages. I have been writing this website full time since 1 November 2007, and continue to do so as a means to satisfy my curiosity about the world around me. I am happy if the information I have assembled is useful to you. Please follow me on Facebook
As a Christian, I hope that through this website, I am able to deliver God's Good News
to those who need it all over the world. If you wish to contact me, please submit the contact form
. Thanks again, don't forget to follow me on Facebook
Malaysia Travel Tips!
My Malaysia Travel Tips
has useful information on every state in Malaysia (Johor
, Negeri Sembilan
) and every major city and destination (Kuala Lumpur
, Johor Bahru
, Cameron Highlands
, Kota Kinabalu
, Alor Setar
, Petaling Jaya
, Kota Bharu
, Kuala Terengganu
) and hundreds of smaller towns.
This website is hosted on Bluehost
, one of the biggest web hosting companies in the world.
Copyright © 2003-2018 Timothy Tye
. All Rights Reserved.