Interior of Selimiye Mosque, Edirne, Turkeyhttps://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Selimiye_camii_panorama.jpg
is a city on the northwestern part of Turkey, close to the border with Greece and Bulgaria. The city is located on the river Tunca in Eastern Thrace, the part of Turkey within Europe. It has a population of 139,000 (2011 estimate) and serves as the provincial capital of Edirne Province.
Selimiye Mosque, Edirnehttps://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Selimiye_Mosque_2009.jpg
The original name of Edirne, as given by the Romas, was Hadrianopolis, after the Roman Emperor Hadrian. For that reason, it was formerly also known in English as Adrianople, a name that has since become obscure. The present name Edirne was derived from Hadrianopolis.
Edirne experiences a humid subtropical climate with long, hot summers and cold, occasionally snowy winters. The hottest month is July, when the average high temperature reaches 31.7°C (89.1°F). Coldest month is January, when the average low temperature drops to -0.6°C (30.9°F). November is the wettest month, with 72.1 mm (2.839 in) of precipitation.
Old Mosque of Edirnehttps://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Edirne_7325_Nevit.JPG
Located at the crossroad between Asia and Europe, Edirne bears the influences of both. Within the city you can fine numerous mosques as well as Orthodox churches of the Bulgarians and Greeks. The city is the traditional home for oil-wrestling, known in Turkish as Kırkpınar.
The most practical way to reach Edirne is to take a bus from Istanbul. The journey takes two hours. The fare is €10. There are also two trains from Istanbul's Sirkeci Railway Station, one at 8:30 am and another at 3:50 pm. The train ride takes 4 hours. Many trains from Europe towards Istanbul also stop over in Edirne.
Sights & Attractions in Edirne
- Beyazıt II Mosque: Mosque on the northern side of river Tunca, about 1.5 km from the city center. It was built in the 15th century when Beyazıt II was the sultan.
- Muradiye Mosque: Mosque that was established in 1421 by the sultan Murat II as a zaviye (dervish hospice), brought about when he dreamt that the great dervish Rumi commanded him to build a hospice in Edirne.
- Mosque of the Three Balconies: Built in 1447, this was once the grandest building of the early Ottoman state. Its southeastern minaret was once the tallest minaret in existence. The three balconies there gave the mosque its name.
- Museum of Turkish and Islamic Art: Located with the medrese (religious school) of Selimiye Mosque is this museum showcasing a small collection of Turkish and Islamic works of art.
- Old Mosque of Edirne: The oldest of Edirne's main mosques, this appears to be a scaled down version of the Great Mosque of Bursa. It was built by Süleyman, the eldest son of Sultan Beyazıt I in 1403, and completed by Süleyman's son Mehmet I in 1414.
- Rüstem Paşa Caravanserai (Rüstem Paşa Kervansarayı)
Caravanserai or inn built for Rüstem Paşa in 1560 comprising two courtyards. The bigger courtyard is today the Rüstem Paşa Kervansaray Hotel while the smaller one is today a student hostel.
- Selimiye Mosque: The grandest mosque of the Ottoman Empire, the Selimiye Mosque was commissioned by Selim II. Construction began in 1569 and the mosque was completed in 1575.
- Semiz Ali Paşa Bazaar: Traditional bazaar dating back to 1589.
Add your business/shop to my site
How would you like to have your business or shop added to this website, so that would-be customers can easily find you? This website provides place information of the whole world, with special emphasis on Malaysia and Singapore.
If you has a shop or business anywhere in Malaysia or Singapore, with a physical location, you may have your shop listed on one of the pages of this site. For example, a shop in Cheras will be placed on the Cheras page, another in Kota Bharu is listed in the Kota Bharu page, and so on. You only need to pay a one-time fee, and your shop will be listed for you for as long as this site is still running. There are different placement plans available. To find out more, CONTACT ME
If you're travelling somewhere, look for accommodation using the Search Hotel engine below. It helps you find the online booking site that offers the best rates for the room you want.
Going somewhere by express bus in Malaysia/Singapore?
Book your bus ticket online right here.
It is easy, safe and fast!.
Book your hotel room here
If you're traveling somewhere soon, book your hotel room online with Agoda. Agoda offers the best prices on 2,000,000+ properties worldwide. Click here
to find the room you want.
Looking for a book? Get it from Book Depository with free delivery worldwide!
I have just discovered Book Depository
, a subsidiary of Amazon.com, and I love it. This is where you can buy books and have them sent to you. But unlike Amazon, when you purchase using Book Depository, you enjoy free delivery worldwide. Give it a try today!
Hire a car
| Our Recipes
| Facebook Posts
| Just Curious
| Not In The Dictionary
| Our Flowering Garden
My YouTube Videos
Check out my YouTube Channel
and don't forget to subscribe!
About Timothy Tye
Welcome to my website, Discover with Timothy Tye
. I started it in 2003 to freely share information about places. Today it has close to thirty thousand pages. I have been writing this website full time since 1 November 2007, and continue to do so as a means to satisfy my curiosity about the world around me. I am happy if the information I have assembled is useful to you. Please follow me on Facebook
As a Christian, I hope that through this website, I am able to deliver God's Good News
to those who need it all over the world. If you wish to contact me, please submit the contact form
. Thanks again, don't forget to follow me on Facebook
Malaysia Travel Tips!
My Malaysia Travel Tips
has useful information on every state in Malaysia (Johor
, Negeri Sembilan
) and every major city and destination (Kuala Lumpur
, Johor Bahru
, Cameron Highlands
, Kota Kinabalu
, Alor Setar
, Petaling Jaya
, Kota Bharu
, Kuala Terengganu
) and hundreds of smaller towns.
Singapore Travel Tips!
In addition to covering Malaysia, I have created the travel tips for Singapore. Please visit my Singapore Travel Tips
for browse through the pages there.
This website is hosted on Bluehost
, one of the biggest web hosting companies in the world.
Copyright © 2003-2018 Timothy Tye
. All Rights Reserved.