is the third largest city in Turkey. It is located on the westernmost part of Anatolia, with its metropolitan area encompassing the entire İzmir Province. The İzmir metropolitan area has a population of 3.35 million people (2011 estimate).
View from Konak Pier in İzmir, Turkeyhttps://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:2._Kordon.JPG
İzmir is an ancient city with a recorded history going back 3,500 years. Human settlement in the İzmir area is believed to go back even further. During ancient times, the city was known as Smyrna, derived from the myrrh trees. Today it is a modern city and a major venue for international fairs and events in Turkey.
Visitors to İzmir will find a city with broad boulevards. The city is served by buses, ferries and a new Metro subway line. There are also horse-drawn carriages, catering mostly to tourists. The waterfront has been restored into a modern pier and wharf.
Asansör elevator at Mithatpaşa, İzmirhttps://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Asans%C3%B6r_%28yandan%29.jpg
İzmir experience the quintessential Mediterranean climate characterized by the long, hot, dry summers and cool, wet winters. Hottest months are July and August, when the average high temperature rises to 33°C (91°F). Coldest months are January and Februay, when the average low temperature drops to 4°C (39°F). Rain is heaviest in December, which receives 122 mm (4.8 in) of precipitation.
You can take the train from Istanbul and Ankara to İzmir. The fastest train from Ankara takes 14 hours. There are also ferry boats between Istanbul and İzmir. The boat ride takes 19 hours.
You can fly to İzmir, landing at the Adnan Menderes Airport (ADB), which receives flights from Istanbul, Ankara and other cities in Turkey. There are also regular flights from neighbouring countries. From the airport, you can take the Airport Shuttle, which meets incoming flights, to go to downtown İzmir. The fare is 10 TL. Public buses are also available, for only 4 TL per passenger.
Gecekondu neighborhood in Bayraklı, İzmirhttps://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Gecekondu_Izmir.jpg
Sights & Attractions in İzmir
- Agora: The central market place of the Roman period dates to AD 178, when it was rebuilt by Emperor Marcus Aurelius following an earthquake.
- Archaeology Museum: The main focus of this museum are the artifacts of the Bayraklı Mounds from 3,000 to 3,500 BC. Other items come from the various periods of İzmir history, with glassware from the Byzantine period, silver and gold cans from the Roman period, and other items.
- Asansör: Elevator from the 19th century, still in use today, bringing patrons to a roof-top restaurant that offers fine views of İzmir.
- Ethnographic Museum: Museum occupying a former French hosptial built in 1831 displays local crafts such as woodblock printing, bridal costumes, beads and other items. There is also a replica of the first apothecary in İzmir.
- Kızlarağası Han: This historical complex was a trading center during Ottoman era. It has been restored and given readaptive reuse, with its courtyard functioning today as a café. Craft and furniture workshops occupy various outlets on the upper floor.
- Konak Clock Tower: Built in 1901, this clock tower - a symbol of İzmir - is one of 58 built during Ottoman times to encourage the Turks to adopt European timekeeping.
- St Polycarp Church: This is the oldest Roman Catholic church in İzmir. It is dedicated to the patron saint of the city.
- Velvet Castle: A fortress complex with 40 towers built on Hellenistic foundations with additions made by latter rulers including the Romans, Genoese and Ottomans. Situated on a hill called Mount Pagos, it offers scenic views of İzmir Bay.
Add your business/shop to my site
How would you like to have your business or shop added to this website, so that would-be customers can easily find you? This website provides place information of the whole world, with special emphasis on Malaysia and Singapore.
If you has a shop or business anywhere in Malaysia or Singapore, with a physical location, you may have your shop listed on one of the pages of this site. For example, a shop in Cheras will be placed on the Cheras page, another in Kota Bharu is listed in the Kota Bharu page, and so on. You only need to pay a one-time fee, and your shop will be listed for you for as long as this site is still running. There are different placement plans available. To find out more, CONTACT ME
If you're travelling somewhere, look for accommodation using the Search Hotel engine below. It helps you find the online booking site that offers the best rates for the room you want.
Going somewhere by express bus in Malaysia/Singapore?
Book your bus ticket online right here.
It is easy, safe and fast!.
Book your hotel room here
If you're traveling somewhere soon, book your hotel room online with Agoda. Agoda offers the best prices on 2,000,000+ properties worldwide. Click here
to find the room you want.
Looking for a book? Get it from Book Depository with free delivery worldwide!
I have just discovered Book Depository
, a subsidiary of Amazon.com, and I love it. This is where you can buy books and have them sent to you. But unlike Amazon, when you purchase using Book Depository, you enjoy free delivery worldwide. Give it a try today!
Hire a car
| Our Recipes
| Facebook Posts
| Just Curious
| Not In The Dictionary
| Our Flowering Garden
My YouTube Videos
Check out my YouTube Channel
and don't forget to subscribe!
About Timothy Tye
Welcome to my website, Discover with Timothy Tye
. I started it in 2003 to freely share information about places. Today it has close to thirty thousand pages. I have been writing this website full time since 1 November 2007, and continue to do so as a means to satisfy my curiosity about the world around me. I am happy if the information I have assembled is useful to you. Please follow me on Facebook
As a Christian, I hope that through this website, I am able to deliver God's Good News
to those who need it all over the world. If you wish to contact me, please submit the contact form
. Thanks again, don't forget to follow me on Facebook
Malaysia Travel Tips!
My Malaysia Travel Tips
has useful information on every state in Malaysia (Johor
, Negeri Sembilan
) and every major city and destination (Kuala Lumpur
, Johor Bahru
, Cameron Highlands
, Kota Kinabalu
, Alor Setar
, Petaling Jaya
, Kota Bharu
, Kuala Terengganu
) and hundreds of smaller towns.
Singapore Travel Tips!
In addition to covering Malaysia, I have created the travel tips for Singapore. Please visit my Singapore Travel Tips
for browse through the pages there.
This website is hosted on Bluehost
, one of the biggest web hosting companies in the world.
Copyright © 2003-2018 Timothy Tye
. All Rights Reserved.